Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering brakes online for the first time, and I'm not sure which hose length I'd need for a large 29er. Rear brakes are being sold in 1300mm, 1400mm, and 1500mm. Front brakes look to be either 800mm or 900mm. Thanks for the help ahead of time. Since I'm a noob, I am in fact buying 29er brakes;) .

·
Registered
24 Posts
i ordered XT rear brakes and had the same delema, i went with the 1500mm. What a mistake! th cable is way too long. and as for the front the 800 will be fine. 1300,1400 will work for the back with no problem

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
bluestatevirgin said:
I'm ordering brakes online for the first time, and I'm not sure which hose length I'd need for a large 29er. Rear brakes are being sold in 1300mm, 1400mm, and 1500mm. Front brakes look to be either 800mm or 900mm. Thanks for the help ahead of time. Since I'm a noob, I am in fact buying 29er brakes;) .
it totally depends on the hose routing. if in doubt, order long and cut them down.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rockcrusher said:
why not measure the run from approx. where the lever will be to the caliper. Use a piece of string, then measure with a tape measure inches x25.4 for cm x 10 for MM and order the closest.
Inches x 25.4 = mm

1inch = 25.4mm = 2.54cm

I just use a metric measuring tape.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
shiggy said:
Inches x 25.4 = mm

1inch = 25.4mm = 2.54cm
thanks I forgot. Been a long time since i live in Canada now and I am losing some of this stuff especially since the US building and construction industry fails to embrace the metric system.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
bluestatevirgin said:
The frame is a Yelli Screamy. My plan was just to buy long and cut down, but wasn't sure how big a pain that would be. I've never bled brakes. I've been using bb7's.
If you're very careful, you can cut down brake hoses without having to bleed. It takes some care in set-up and execution (and preparation... you might have to have an additional hose-end fitting), but it's not impossible. I've done it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you already have the bike, then as RC said, just measure, if not, isn't this something you should be asking the manufacturer about, you know as part of customer service, something they should be able to advise you on? :???:
bluestatevirgin said:
The frame is a Yelli Screamy. My plan was just to buy long and cut down, but wasn't sure how big a pain that would be. I've never bled brakes. I've been using bb7's.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LyNx said:
If you already have the bike, then as RC said, just measure, if not, isn't this something you should be asking the manufacturer about, you know as part of customer service, something they should be able to advise you on? :???:
Yeah, I'll check with the Canfields. I wasn't sure if there were an obvious answer. Thanks all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.