Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a brand new kona stinky 06' and the rear brake rotor is rubbing against the caliber. is this a popular problem or just my bike. I think the rotor might of got bent in shipping, but it doesnt look bad and it rubs the whole way around... so i dont know. help is appreciated

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If it rubs the whole way around, it isn't bent. It's just improper setup. You need to recenter the caliper. Loosen the two bolts that fasten the caliper to the adapter, squeeze and hold the lever, then equally tighten the two bolts a little at a time. It might take a few tries.

·
Registered
155 Posts
take it to a shop that has a morningstar dial indicated set up

Hey ho, bent or out of whack rotors can be starightened and or checked out fast when a shop has the correct tools- you can see some of them at morningstartools.com
it is recommend to get some if you are going to ride hard- it is empowering to work on your own bike. that company also makes levers to realign rotors called DRUMSTIX- I've seen 'em work !:D

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If it is rubbing the whole way around, I doubt it's bent. In which case, the Morningstar tools will be useless.

If you've tried the centering method, and it's still rubbing the pad on that side, it's probably a sticky piston. While holding the other piston in, pull the lever to force the stuck piston out a little bit. Clean with alcohol and then lube it up with brake caliper grease, silicone spray, or DOT fluid. Then work the piston in and out. You will ALWAYS have one slightly dominant piston. Keep that in mind. If the pistons are moving freely and you're still getting rub, see which side it's rubbing on, slide a piece of paper or a business card between the rotor and the pad, and repeat the centering process.

If you still haven't got it, bring it to a shop. Sometimes piston movement is inhibited by air in the system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
XL-will has a very good anaylisis !

Yep, spot on the money. Might mention water in hydraulic fluid will also start the hint of corrosion on a piston or the caliper cylinder it is in, either of which which will slow a piston's response- it does not take much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts