Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
use an old set of brake pads with some cut up credit card plastic in between and held together with rubber cement

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I use plastic tires levers to spread the pistons with pads out. With pads in, I use two flat bladed screwdrivers pressed in from opposite sides. I give the screwdrivers a good wipe with solvent first.

Pistons tend to cock in their bores and not move so you need to keep an eye on them and apply force appropriately. Exercise care not to chip or break Shimano ceramic pistons.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I've always used a a tire lever as well, I also use the handle end of a pedal wrench which is plastic dipped. However I recently used my buddies park tool PP-1.2 and I gotta say, the thing works damn well.

·
Magically Delicious
11,865 Posts
Another vote for plastic tire levers.

Really, just about anything that will fit the gap and not provide a sharp edge to the caliper pistons (if ceramic) should work fine if excising a little common sense.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Another vote for plastic tire levers.

Really, just about anything that will fit the gap and not provide a sharp edge to the caliper pistons (if ceramic) should work fine if excising a little common sense.
I use plastic tire levers as well. Pedro's levers have a nice flat bit on an angle for hooking spokes, works well. For stubborn or sensitive stuff, I put in a worn out pair of pads and twist a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Flat head screwdriver works for me. I have dozens so I take the time to figure out which one will work best. Be gentle and pay attention to what the piston is doing regarding alignment/cocking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.