Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allmost total ignorant(my friend) wants to know if the pads will make some noise to warn it is time to change? Will poor performance mean time to change?
How thin is too thin?
How to look?
Bike bought new a few months ago(it was an unsold), 3,000kms for now all is good but will buy replacement to be ready. Ya, he is a lightweight, not focussed on speed.
Specs sheet says: 2017 Magura MT4 HC Aluminium
Happy trails!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Allmost total ignorant(my friend) wants to know if the pads will make some noise to warn it is time to change? Will poor performance mean time to change?
How thin is too thin?
How to look?
Bike bought new a few months ago(it was an unsold), 3,000kms for now all is good but will buy replacement to be ready. Ya, he is a lightweight, not focussed on speed.
Happy trails!
The way you worded the beginning of your post is quite funny.
Thanks for that!

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
How thin is too thin?
How to look?
Happy trails!
I have run pads down into the aluminum a couple of times. They make noise when they reach the aluminum. They had almost no difference until that point, no reduction in braking, not wet vs. dry performance difference vs newer pads. Just the occasional ting when the thin pads and holders would hit the rotor.

They did not work well when the aluminum was the only braking material.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Aluminum backing plates are a lot softer than the stainless steel rotor, but most pads have steel backing plates which can quickly damage a rotor. It's best to not wait until the backing plate makes contact with the rotor.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aluminum backing plates are a lot softer than the stainless steel rotor, but most pads have steel backing plates which can quickly damage a rotor. It's best to not wait until the backing plate makes contact with the rotor.
Jenson USA emailed me they sent me the 4 sets i ordered so i guess monday or before i will have them unless the frontier slow them down.
I just started playing in expert trails i want to trust my brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.