Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of curiousity I ordered some full metallic brake pads on Aliexpress.

Background story.
The M6100 deore 4 piston brakes on my Ebike are really weak. Even after a while their power feels like any cheap Shimano, or Tektro 2 pistons brakes.

When I did order some tools and a cassette from the ZTTO store I saw their golden full metallic pads and at not even 10 bucks for 4 pairs I was like, meh let's just try them.
I also ordered 4 pairs for Sram.
Tableware Food Material property Aluminium foil Cuisine

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle tire

To my surprise those are really good.
The rear brake locks up almost instantly, the front brake is much more powerfull, especially after the pads warm up.
I did rode only 250km with them so far and only one time in heavy rain and mud.
They make a short shriek when wet, but that sound goes right away after they warm up again.

On my Hardtail I use a pair of Saints with the original finned metallic pads.
They feel more powerful, but overall those ZTTO pads are not bad for the money.

I also got some of the black semi ZTTO pads for Shimano and Tektro 2 piston brakes. My neighbor asked me to buy them.
Again they are not bad at all. Better than the Tektro pads and very quiet.

Are there any other good options on Aliexpress?
What experiences did you guys make so far?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've not bought from Alie but I've bought directly from China via eBay a few times. Full metal pads (MT5 brakes) that were pretty darn good for 4 bucks. Good heat management/life/power, but they did wear my rotors more than other metal pads. They were an aggressive full metal compound so that was to be expected. Ever since the pandemic hit the ebay seller disappeared? Alpha pads or something like that? I suspect most pads are coming from a few factories overseas. Too bad we don't know who makes pads for who. It's a roll of the dice but there's a good chance you can score the prices wholesalers pay for pads made in the same factories as name brand. QC is a gamble I guess but I've yet to have an issue. I would like to try MTX but noway I'm paying 30 bucks for pads. There's just no need when there are so many options on the market that work really well. 30 for pads is crazy mark up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How do you find them for wear and brake dust? I tried some cheap non-branded pads and they worked well, however they wore quick and i realised they made a horrible mess compared to branded ones so I'm not going to use them again.

I have just got some Galfer to see what a premium pad is like (about half the price of the MTX that everyone seems to praise) and so far they're really decent (though this isn't the aim of the post...). I've moved on for looking for cheap alternatives in the braking department, I do want my brakes to be working when I need them.

·
Registered
849 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not bought from Alie but I've bought directly from China via eBay a few times. Full metal pads (MT5 brakes) that were pretty darn good for 4 bucks. Good heat management/life/power, but they did wear my rotors more than other metal pads. They were an aggressive full metal compound so that was to be expected. Ever since the pandemic hit the ebay seller disappeared? Alpha pads or something like that? I suspect most pads are coming from a few factories overseas. Too bad we don't know who makes pads for who. It's a roll of the dice but there's a good chance you can score the prices wholesalers pay for pads made in the same factories as name brand. QC is a gamble I guess but I've yet to have an issue. I would like to try MTX but noway I'm paying 30 bucks for pads. There's just no need when there are so many options on the market that work really well. 30 for pads is crazy mark up.
I was looking at the MTX pads too and may give them a try. But yeah, they are crazy expensive.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The only issue I had with pads was the friction material detached from the back plate after an average descent on a set of genuine Shimano resin pads supplied in a set of new brakes.

I get the same noise when wet until warmed up but no other issues with cheap pads, two sets of sintered for £10 on ebay which seem the same except for the brand logo.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Had bad experience with bad QC no-name AE pads, braking failed when i needed it most (gnarly terrain, before corner).
Never again - saving few 10s of $ per year vs crashing for me is no brainer. I only use original pads since then as brakes are critical component IMO and you don't mess with them. Ever :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People buying bikes in few thousands dollars or euros, but willing to take the risk and skimping on quality brake pads...
The ZTTO pads were the first china pads I have tried.

I made good experiences with Jagwire full metal pads, Swiss Stop, Coolstop, Trickstuff, Shimano and Sram sinter.

Also some of the supposed to be better quality pads from original brands are just garbage.
TRP and Tektro pads for example are junk.
Same for the lower end Shimano, or Magura pads.
They just have no power, or shriek like crayz.
And who knows how many "original pads" are made in the same china factory from aliexpress.

And no, not all of use can afford to buy an expensive bike on a whim like a dentist.
Some of us save for many months to buy just a decent bike.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I always use Discobrakes pads with no issues. Are cheap and work well.

Last time I had to buy "Alligator" branded pads as I was unable to find anything else in stock. They also work well.

I bought some things from ZTTO (bottle cages and such) and they're good enough, but I'm not sure I'd trust them on a critical part like a brake pad.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought some things from ZTTO (bottle cages and such) and they're good enough, but I'm not sure I'd trust them on a critical part like a brake pad.
Fair point.
In my case the original Shimano pads were so weak that those ZTTO pads are a massive improvement in terms of safety for me.

The only "holy ****" moment while braking I had so far was my first time experiencing the infamous wandering brake point issue from Shimano on a steepe decline a few years back.
Lol back than I didn't even know that this issue existed. I was a noob just starting to get more serious into mountain biking.

That didn't stopped me from buying Shimano stuff, but it also shows that staying with original manufacturers parts doesn't exclude you from safty issues.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The ZTTO pads were the first china pads I have tried.

I made good experiences with Jagwire full metal pads, Swiss Stop, Coolstop, Trickstuff, Shimano and Sram sinter.

Also some of the supposed to be better quality pads from original brands are just garbage.
TRP and Tektro pads for example are junk.
Same for the lower end Shimano, or Magura pads.
They just have no power, or shriek like crayz.
And who knows how many "original pads" are made in the same china factory from aliexpress.

And no, not all of use can afford to buy an expensive bike on a whim like a dentist.
Some of us save for many months to buy just a decent bike.
The few times i couldn't get original pads, i tried other brands and always they lack of power... but as long as you're happy with the performance of these pads, thats the most important.

Also didnt talk about 10k+ dentist level bike... these days new bike with mid range parts cost around 5000€ .

Fair point.
In my case the original Shimano pads were so weak that those ZTTO pads are a massive improvement in terms of safety for me.

The only "holy ****" moment while braking I had so far was my first time experiencing the infamous wandering brake point issue from Shimano on a steepe decline a few years back.
Lol back than I didn't even know that this issue existed. I was a noob just starting to get more serious into mountain biking.

That didn't stopped me from buying Shimano stuff, but it also shows that staying with original manufacturers parts doesn't exclude you from safty issues.
Out of curiosity, which Shimano brakes, pads and disc size you had that problem? coz the new resin pads they having are much more powerful compared to the older version.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also didnt talk about 10k+ dentist level bike... these days new bike with mid range parts cost around 5000€ .
Ok that's fair, but man just 5 years back 5000k could get you highend speced bikes. Times sure have changed :cry:
I saved money for more than year to buy my first full suspension bike. 4k+ for Fox Elite, Full SramX01 Eagle, RSC brakes, Carbon bars and so on.

Out of curiosity, which Shimano brakes, pads and disc size you had that problem? coz the new resin pads they having are much more powerful compared to the older version.
There is nothing written on those pads, just black. They came with the bike. M6100 Deore 4 piston brakes.
Probabaly some cheap oem pads. The ZTTO ones are much better. I will try Trickstuff pads next and maybe other rotors.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fair point.

I've seen ebay and aliexpress pads on which the braking compound separated from the backing plate during braking. That's extremely dangerous.

I've had the wandering bite point issue, and to me it seemed more like an annoyance than a dangerous thing.

If I tried pads from an unknown brand, I'd try them at the rear brake first.

In any case, I don't feel the need to risk anything when Discobrakes pads are cheap and work fantastically.

·
Registered
429 Posts
People buying bikes in few thousands dollars or euros, but willing to take the risk and skimping on quality brake pads...
Not always the case. Nobody in the U.S. has the xtr pads I use, regardless of price. A China vendor on eBay had the ti pads for a great price and they work jist like oem. I even think they are ti, not magnetic anyways.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.