Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just bought an 05 kona stinky. The front brake pad is rubbing on the rotor while i drive, is there a way to adjust this? or do i just wait for it to rub down?

The brakes are hayes 9. I did try taking the front wheel off then back on but no luck. There is a fair size gap on the other pad and the rotor, i dont see anything to align this.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
cobra said:
Hey guys i just bought an 05 kona stinky. The front brake pad is rubbing on the rotor while i drive, is there a way to adjust this? or do i just wait for it to rub down?

The brakes are hayes 9. I did try taking the front wheel off then back on but no luck. There is a fair size gap on the other pad and the rotor, i dont see anything to align this.
If one pad is rubbing and another one doesn't, put some washer between the caliper and brake mount of your fork/frame to adjust gaps between pads and rotor. Distance should be the same on both sides obviously.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stupid me

well i didnt think i was able to adjust the caliper, but a better look at it and i am. I went to hayes website and aligned the pads with cards, works great. thanks

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
i have got the same problem

except i have a 04 coiler

i didnt have any problems, but a week later after getting it, the front brake is really dragging. i used the plastic card that came with it to push both the pads back into the calipers, but it still drags a lot.. any ideas? there is such a small margin for adjustment (using a washer), i can't see that being the answer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take the pads out of the caliper. Use a 10 mm box wrench to push the pistons back into the caliper. Be careful not to bend the pad retention stud. Replace the pads.

Put the wheel back on the bike. Loosen the bolts that hold the caliper onto the mount. Press the front brake lever to center the caliper over the rotor. (Might have to use a few business cards to maintain a little bit of a gap). Tighten the bolts.

The caliper should be centered in respect to the rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.