Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently bought a Jamis Dakar A1 2019 which has the shimano MT400 brake set on it, at the moment it seems to be no brakes or fully locked out and was wondering if there was a way to allow more play before fully locking out.

Thanks
Curtis

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Is this your first experience with hydraulic disc brakes?
First experience with Shimano brakes?

If yes to both, or yes to Shimano, that is sort of the nature of the Shimano Feel.
It's the great debate between which brand is better between Shimano and SRAM.

Do you have a local shop that can test the feel for you? Without knowing your experience, I would like to say it's simply the feel of a Shimano brake. But in the event there is a problem it would be nice for somebody else to give 'em a squeeze and say if it feels normal for that brake or not.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
^^^ what other's have already said

To add to using Shimano if you are new to 'em... they're meant to be pulled with just one finger. If you're using two or more, it's real easy to 'lock them up'.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Any mtb brakes are meant to be pulled with one finger. (Moto front brakes are usually two fingers.) Shimano brakes that have their ServoWave levers are grabbier than others. Going to metalic pads can help reduce the grabby nature.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,602 Posts
that's the thing though there's hardly any force required to cause the brakes to lock up
I guarantee that on both my mtb's, my brakes are MUCH stronger than the ones that you're complaining about.

I suppose it's possible that there could be too much fluid in the brake system, but without being able to put hands on them, it's impossible to say if this is the case. This should be something the shop should take care of on a brand new bike if it is, though. Easy way to figure out if it is would be to walk through a shop and grab the levers of other brakes. Do they feel similar? Do they have the desired feel? That said, I find it highly unlikely that any shop would let a brand new bike go out the door with brakes like this.

I have a feeling that this comes down to expectations and lack of experience. You need to train your fingers if you're complaining about the brakes on this bike. These brakes don't even use the servo wave levers that the "grabby brakes" people complain about. I've had to do the same "finger training" when getting used to new brakes (or a new setup) that are much more powerful than my old ones.

Is this your first experience with hydraulic disc brakes?
First experience with Shimano brakes?
I'm beginning to think that these questions are the right ones to be asking.

Also, fwiw, regarding the use of metallic pads. I checked out OP's bike specs (Shimano MT400 w/ RT26 rotors) and those rotors are resin pad only rotors. Changing to metallic pads on that bike would require new rotors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.