Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm getting new 07 Juicy 7's, they say they are ambidextrous (big word). In Australia the bikes are strung up Moto style and that's what I'm used too. I have been wondering about trying the other way. I like Moto because it puts the primary brake in my primary hand (Right), but it doesn't make sense because it's paired with the rear shifters.

Any thoughts on what you like or don't regarding which side brake levers should go on ?~?

Exactly how to you change the Juicy levers around ?~?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
All Mountain said:
Since I'm getting new 07 Juicy 7's, they say they are ambidextrous (big word). In Australia the bikes are strung up Moto style and that's what I'm used too. I have been wondering about trying the other way. I like Moto because it puts the primary brake in my primary hand (Right), but it doesn't make sense because it's paired with the rear shifters.

Any thoughts on what you like or don't regarding which side brake levers should go on ?~?

Exactly how to you change the Juicy levers around ?~?
I go "Yanky style" but I would suggest it's never a good idea to deviate from what you are accustomed to when it comes to brakes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blackagness said:
I go "Yanky style" but I would suggest it's never a good idea to deviate from what you are accustomed to when it comes to brakes. :thumbsup:
I'm thinking I may try your style when I first mount for kicks. Never even tried this before. I'm not a living breathing mountain bike like you ;), so I just might survive. I just point it down and have fun :rockon: :winker: :winker: :rockon: . OTB here I come !~!

I hope I didn't offend the descent Southern Folk calling it Yankee style:eek: .

crisillo said:
I go "Yankee", but many Euros, especially the British, go "Moto". I think Warp goes Moto too...
Funny, I've heard Warp goes both ways :devil: :yikes: :yikes: :devil:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Moto for me! I can't imagine the disasters that would occur if I had the front brake on the left after all this time :eek:

US style probably makes cable routing a bit tidier though?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
All Mountain said:
Funny, I've heard Warp goes both ways :devil: :yikes: :yikes: :devil:
Yeah, but not on my brakes... :D

I go moto. I'm lefty and I feel it completely natural to me.

However, Titus are made for Yank style and the cable routing is better that way. Moto gives you some unnatural bends at the headtube area but not a problem... and you already knew that.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
blackagness said:
Nahhhhh! Don't pay too much heed to that advice. BA means well but knows nothing.... regarding yank's and moto's style. Wait until you have a ride which includes lots and lots of miles of downhill on singletrack with loose soil. That will make your experience more lively, and make you get used to the new ubication real fast. Also, you'll get to experience the feel of the land. As a bonus, you can try to do the switch of the levels at the trailhead when you're already late for the ride and your friends are watching you. Have them cheer you on on how to change the levels and how far into the bars they should be placed.

:p :p :p

Actually, I agree with him, you're used to the way you have them set up, and I don't think there's any advantage of switching.

·
6,360 Posts
I'm Sorry...

Warp said:
So... should the politically correct term should be "Yankee-Dixie Style"??? :D :D
But I really don't think many southerners identify with the term yankee. Generaly that's a word we use to call people, not be called ourselves. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of terms used to discribe us good old southern boy's, but non of em good... You know... jelousy. ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
You know... jelousy. ;)
:lol: :lol:

Actually... I love southern folks... They're very similar to our Northern folks (I mean north of Mexico) and they all are very nice and warm people. My wife is from Northern Mexico.

I even love the accent... it has some soul to it. :thumbsup:

·
6,360 Posts
Warp said:
:lol: :lol:

Actually... I love southern folks... They're very similar to our Northern folks (I mean north of Mexico) and they all are very nice and warm people. My wife is from Northern Mexico.

I even love the accent... it has some soul to it. :thumbsup:
Accent? What accent??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I run Yankee Style. I ride with a British fellow who does Moto and the front brake in dominant hand is a compelling argument so I gave it a shot and dumped myself on my face. I found that I use the rear brake in my dominant hand for control. You can feather the rear for steering control. This appears to be a habit I developed and when I needed to stop quickly but not abruptly I slammed on the rear oops I mean front brake and smacked the ground.

I respect the setup I just can't ride it.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Asahi said:
I run Yankee Style. I ride with a British fellow who does Moto and the front brake in dominant hand is a compelling argument so I gave it a shot and dumped myself on my face. I found that I use the rear brake in my dominant hand for control. You can feather the rear for steering control. This appears to be a habit I developed and when I needed to stop quickly but not abruptly I slammed on the rear oops I mean front brake and smacked the ground.

You're describing my last experience with US Style.... To each his own... I mean, this is as personal a preference as your choice of comdom's brand.

For him as Aussie and having driven all his life on the "wrong lane" it may be much easier moto. But he may well give it a go and find out he likes it much better.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Asahi said:

Great post Asahi. Great to hear people's thoughts.

I always thought the dominant hand runs the dominant brake so Moto style was it as far as I was concerned. As you pointed out, as we progress with our riding skills the rear brake becomes more of a predominate feature for control and finesse of the bike. Why not put this in control of our dominant hand, and leave the front brake to it's job of off /on.

For a righty, Dixie style is making more sense to me on paper. If Warp wasn't a lefty he'd be Dixie style as well. The great thing about it is I can give it a go. As Warp pointed out, the cable routing is odd Moto style. When I was putting the new bars on and having troubles getting the cables just right, I just clued-in that Moto style was to blame.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
One advantage to Moto style is that the integrated guides in Zoke forks usually work a little cleaner that way... especially the ones on the rear side of the left lower...

·
6,360 Posts
AM You Rock.... HARD!!!!!

All Mountain said:
Great post Asahi. Great to hear people's thoughts.

I always thought the dominant hand runs the dominant brake so Moto style was it as far as I was concerned. As you pointed out, as we progress with our riding skills the rear brake becomes more of a predominate feature for control and finesse of the bike. Why not put this in control of our dominant hand, and leave the front brake to it's job of off /on.

For a righty, Dixie style is making more sense to me on paper. If Warp wasn't a lefty he'd be Dixie style as well. The great thing about it is I can give it a go. As Warp pointed out, the cable routing is odd Moto style. When I was putting the new bars on and having troubles getting the cables just right, I just clued-in that Moto style was to blame.
Dixie style.... I love it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.