Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using Avid Levers for my Avid Mechs and they work great. However, I am an badfinger braker and find I have to shift my hands a bit uncomfortably to use the levers. Are there any longer levered levers out there that are reasonable weight for use on a XC bike? Do SRAM 9.0's work well with Avid Mechs?
Thanks
Greg
:confused:

·
Registered
445 Posts
avid

i use sram xo shifters, avid mech brakes and avid speed dial 7 levers. the xo have a shorter shifter surface, so the levers work great. i also use yeti harcore 3/4 lock on grips. this is the best set up i have found to date

hope this helps :D

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Paul 2.5's

G-Live said:
Have been using Avid Levers for my Avid Mechs and they work great. However, I am an badfinger braker and find I have to shift my hands a bit uncomfortably to use the levers. Are there any longer levered levers out there that are reasonable weight for use on a XC bike? Do SRAM 9.0's work well with Avid Mechs?
Thanks
Greg
Here's what you're looking for (on sale too):

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=16381&cat=276&page=1

http://www.paulcomp.com/

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
I was in the same boat up until about a year ago. What you want to look for is the Avid SD 2.0L. With this lever avid offset the pivot 5-10mm so the tip of the paddle is a little further out. The only catch is they don't make them any more. I bought a set either off of MTBR or Ebay. I've also heard that the original Avid Ultimate lever for v-brakes was wider but have not confirmed.

Also I'd avoid the SRAM 9.0 levers like the plague. They're plenty long for use with gripshifts, but the paddles flex like a wet noodle. I bought my first set of avid levers because of the fear those levers instilled in me during a long, steep downhill.

G-Live said:
Thanks
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts