Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used Raleigh Rowdy 20inch 6 speed for my 6yo. It is in pretty good shape except that the head of the reach adjust screw for the rear brake lever is totally stripped out. I tried to cut a notch in the top of the screw and get it out with a flat screwdriver but it didn't work. I could probably drill it out and re-tap it, but now I am thinking that it would just be easiest to replace the whole brake lever.

Can someone recommend a cheap brake lever that works well with little hands?

It has Tektro brake levers with V-brakes but I don't see any model number marked on the levers.

Should I be shopping for a mountain bike lever or a BMX lever? (The Tektro BMX levers seem to be the closest match to what I have now)

Are there any kid-specific brake levers?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Second the Avid Speed Dials. Very easy to find cheap on Ebay, or your local bike club, and very adjustable as far as reach, and leverage. I have them on my daughters 20" Hotrock, and will probably get another set for the new 24" bike.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm thinking of swapping out the stock Tektro brake lever on my my nephew's 20" Hotrock for an Avid FR5. The Tektro lever feels a bit stiff whereas the Avid feels more fluid and has less resistance. So I say Avid FR5 for price and ease of functionality.

·
ilmfat
1,079 Posts
Switching from Tektros to Avids has ALWAYS increased performance, even without a cable change.

Which is weird, cause u'd think the brakes would have more to do with it.

Years ago, I went from Tektro brakes to avid, and was disappointed that braking did not improve. Switched to fr-5s, and tada. So now I don't worry bout the brakes and just switch levers.

Tho my monocog runs a full set of Tektros and they seem to run well.

And I DO like the Sd-7s more than the fr5s. But the 5s are a definite improvement over the Tektros.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts