Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had my front wheel off and my son walked over to my bike and squeezed the front brake lever. My brake pads were stuck together and I couldn't remount my front wheel. I was able to carefully pry the pads far enough apart to put the front wheel on but now the rotor rubs like crazy. Now my new Shimano XT hydraulic 765 brakes that were set up perfectly with absolutely no drag are dragging and I would like to know how to fix them.
Thanks.

·
Bodhisattva
10,879 Posts
Pry them all the way back flush to the caliper. Mount wheel. Squeeze lever a few times. If the disc is rubbing on one pad, push the rotor over to that side and while holding it there, squeeze the lever a few times. Repeat back & forth as necessary until the rotor is centered beteen the pads. As an alternative, you could place a business card between the rotor & the closer pad and squeeze the lever. Make sure the screwdrive is grease-free and use a towel when handling the rotor to prevent contamination with hand oils.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Business card

The Squeaky Wheel said:
Pry them all the way back flush to the caliper. Mount wheel. Squeeze lever a few times. If the disc is rubbing on one pad, push the rotor over to that side and while holding it there, squeeze the lever a few times. Repeat back & forth as necessary until the rotor is centered beteen the pads. As an alternative, you could place a business card between the rotor & the closer pad and squeeze the lever. Make sure the screwdrive is grease-free and use a towel when handling the rotor to prevent contamination with hand oils.
I like the business card idea. I will try that. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.