Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this bike off my mate and basically he told me it had liquid brakes, up until now ive never known what this is supposed to mean as they r just discs but i just decided to open them up, heres a pic of what i found:

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/bdupload/DSC00002.jpg

what is this liquid inside? its not rain water is it there was a rubber seal covering it can anyone fill me in thanks

·
A mean teen...
331 Posts
Air will make them feel squidgy and lack in power, but since you haven't drained the oil I would just pop the seal back in and cap and go ride! :)

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
we all do stupid things.
I re adjusted my rear derailler by screwing the h and l screws in tight..... then thought about it and got my mtb fundimentals dvd out and fixed it up (still ghost shifting but that turned out to be a hanger problem, lbs fixed that and its good to go)
this is how we learn, we break it then we fix it :)

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
OP, you didn't do anything wrong, nor did you ruin your brakes. The shimanos have a high tolerance for low fluid levels, so if there's still fluid in the area we call a resevoir, then you're fine. Best idea is to go get a bit of mineral oil brake fluid (just get the brake kind, not the kind from a pharmacy) and open the cap and top it off. You want to get enough in there that it sort of overflows a bit when you put the rubber seal back in. Clean everything back up and off you go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
zebrahum said:
OP, you didn't do anything wrong, nor did you ruin your brakes. The shimanos have a high tolerance for low fluid levels, so if there's still fluid in the area we call a resevoir, then you're fine. Best idea is to go get a bit of mineral oil brake fluid (just get the brake kind, not the kind from a pharmacy) and open the cap and top it off. You want to get enough in there that it sort of overflows a bit when you put the rubber seal back in. Clean everything back up and off you go.
cheers i assumed this might work as the resevoirs arent at the very top and there is a rubber seal so i will give it a go, do u reckon a bike shop will sell mineral oil?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.