Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Friend of mine has a road bike she'd like to put flat bars on. But since it is a road bike, the brakes are road brakes (that pivot on a single, central post).

Will mountain bike brake (v-brake) levers pull the correct amount of cable to work with road bike brakes? Or will she need some sort of leverage adapter (like those old canti -> v adapter pulley things)?

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
They will work.

will8250 said:
Hi,
Friend of mine has a road bike she'd like to put flat bars on. But since it is a road bike, the brakes are road brakes (that pivot on a single, central post).

Will mountain bike brake (v-brake) levers pull the correct amount of cable to work with road bike brakes? Or will she need some sort of leverage adapter (like those old canti -> v adapter pulley things)?
Don't ask why, but I've done all kinds of experiments with road bikes running MTB stuff and even a mountainbike turned into a road bike. I work at a shop, so I get a little mad scientist thing going once in awhile. V-brake levers will operate those weenie single post road brakes just fine. It's the other way around that you have to use a "travel agent" to operate V-brake calipers with other types of levers. Heck, I even have a rapidfire shifter for my rear mid-cage XTR derailleur.

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll pass along the info

1 - 3 of 3 Posts