Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, quick question. How much money does it usually cost to install new hydralic brakes. I currently have cheap mechanical ones and I want to upgrade to the hayes stroker trail brakes. They would probably need to be bleed and stuff.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
New brakes shouldn't need to be bled. If the hoses are the correct length already, they are a breeze to install and adjust - especially if your old rotors are any good and you're keeping them for now. The easiest scenario is just four bolts per brake. (Two at the clamp, two at the caliper.)

·
Magically Delicious
9,835 Posts
New brakes shouldn't need to be bled. If the hoses are the correct length already, they are a breeze to install and adjust - especially if your old rotors are any good and you're keeping them for now. The easiest scenario is just four bolts per brake. (Two at the clamp, two at the caliper.)
Numerous upgrades that I have installed have always come with extra long brake lines presumably for an XXL frame. Each installation has required them to be shortened. At least if you want a clean looking cockpit and setup. Don't forget you're going to need to secure the brake lines to the frame in several locations. With all that being said, it's not difficult to do your own installation and even shorten the brakes lines if necessary. Several threads on here for doing both.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I just did my own with no experience and it worked out well. FWIW my lbs said 15 per brake if I bought them from the shop and $25 per brake if I brought them in myself because they would want to do a fresh bleed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts