Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was bleeding my brakes, I think I got some mineral oil onto my front pads. I cleaned the rotor with automative brake cleaner, but the braking performance with the current metallica pads is worse than the resin pads before.

Should I try to bake the pads or am I stuck with buying new ones??

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have had good luck torching them in the past with a small propane torch. Heat them untill they start to smoke then move the torch away for a few seconds and repea.t Do it about 3 times and they should be fine. after you are done clean them with alcohol or disk brake cleaner. Let them cool befor putting them in the caliper. If you don't have a propane torch you can bake them but they smoke and stink up your place.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What Johny said worked for me when I managed to get fork oil on some pads once. I don't see how any residue could be left after that process. Do what Johny said and then ride them a bit before giving up on the pads. I think they'll be fine.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
The best solution is to get new ones but you could try cleaning them up with alcohol, sand them, more alcohol and bake them at 350d for 15 minutes, repeat a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I have had good luck torching them in the past with a small propane torch. Heat them untill they start to smoke then move the torch away for a few seconds and repea.t Do it about 3 times and they should be fine. after you are done clean them with alcohol or disk brake cleaner. Let them cool befor putting them in the caliper. If you don't have a propane torch you can bake them but they smoke and stink up your place.
I don't have a proane torch, but would a BBQ work?? Thanks for the advice, I'll try it this weekend :)

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
macming said:
When I was bleeding my brakes, I think I got some mineral oil onto my front pads. I cleaned the rotor with automative brake cleaner, but the braking performance with the current metallica pads is worse than the resin pads before.

Should I try to bake the pads or am I stuck with buying new ones??
I held mine over the stove with a pair of pliers until red hot and they worked fine.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Incidently, does this method work with DOTx brake fluid accidents as well, or just mineral oil? I suspect not...

-p

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
pahearn said:
Incidently, does this method work with DOTx brake fluid accidents as well, or just mineral oil? I suspect not...

-p
I will work with dot or any other contamination. Placing the pad directly on a stove element works as well but be carfull it can make a mess of the element and as I said earlier it will stink and smoke up you place. I have never heard of someone using a BBQ but it might work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A propane torch can be had for around $10-$15 I believe. It's not something I use often but I'm glad to have it when the odd occasion arrises that I do need it. It's like a pipe cutter, I rarely need it but glad it's in my arsenal. Oh yeah, add reciprocating saw to the list too, but they're not that cheap.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Yeah, I was pleased with the propane torch on the brake pads. You'll be surprised how useful a good propane torch can be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts