Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, new here but a long time Mt Bike rider. I posted this in the brake section also but wanted to try here too. Have really slowed down on riding in the past few years but starting to get back into it. Have a '95 Cannondale Super-V 700 with V-brakes. Would really like to do a disc brake swap. For those of you that know the bike, you will know that the bike does not have disc brake adaptable hubs or caliper installation holes/brackets.

So... aside form getting new rims to accept brake discs, is there adapters on the market that I can mount to both my fork and rear swing arm to bolt the calipers to? I see A2Z makes a rear adapter that might work with some messaging, but the front looks to be my biggest dilema. May upgrade the fork in which I'd have that issue taken care of there.

Thanks in advance
Buddy P

·
Registered
330 Posts
On a '95 you can't swap out the swing arm for a later model, therefore you are into fabricating brackets at the back. Up front you have to change the fork, in addition to new hubs and the brakes themselves. This will be a lot of cash on an old bike. How much braking do you need? I'd look at Magura Hydraulic rim brakes as an altrnative. More in keeping with a classic older bike with limited rear wheel travel. Post some pics when you've done your mods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've pretty much decided against it, as you said, there just to much that I'd end up putting into it. Besides I really don't "need" them anyway. The main thing that I like about discs is when your running through sand or water, none of that (or very little) is getting on the rotor. The sand bothers me more than anything. My bike get's more road miles than trail anyhow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.