Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-200lb rider / agressive XC

Looking for light weight with good modulation and stopping power. Currently on Avid Mech BB7 (going onto wife's bike) and wish to move to hydros and save a little weight.

Current choices
-Magura SL - Light, costly
-Hope Mono Mini - Not "as" light, cheaper, harder to set up (?)
-Hope M4 - Not as light, stopping power

I have searched the boards on these and found some info on comparisions. Looking for someone who has used all three or at least two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
boboso said:

Looking for light weight with good modulation and stopping power. Currently on Avid Mech BB7 (going onto wife's bike) and wish to move to hydros and save a little weight.

Current choices

I have searched the boards on these and found some info on comparisions. Looking for someone who has used all three or at least two.
I've used a combination of the Hope's, and found the "feel" (modulation and firmness of the lever) to be better on the Mini than the M4. I can endo my 200lb self just as easily with the Minis as the M4s. The same discs are available for each.

After carefully facing my disc mount tabs, mine squeal when hot (overheated?), though are silent the rest of the time. I'll be trying aftermarket pads.

Setup for the Hopes isn't difficult, though it can be time consuming. The Hopes use shim washers to position the caliper, and you need to remove the caliper to add/remove shims, and remove the wheel to remove the caliper. If the bike is in a workstand, and you do an optimal binary search, it should only take a few minutes. If you can't figure out how the thicknesses of the shims effect the offset, it can take hours. You should only ever have to reshim if you switched hub/disc.

The Hopes are bled like any auto/motorcycle brake system, so maintenance is easy. The hose fittings on the Hopes are reusable, and there is no need to have spare parts on hand if you disconnect the hoses (I don't have experience with the SL's, just HS-33s which I like very much, other than the disposable olives and bleeding procedure).

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anotherbrian, thanks for the good information. I am familiar with Hopes as I had the "old" minis prior to the Avids. A rear caliper spilt while riding and that left a bitter taste in my mouth (dirt don't hurt but it is not a good mouthwash). It is good to hear your experiance with the moto minis with the modulation which is important to me. The set up gremlins I am used to as well (shims and time). The fact that I am limiting myself by weight to try to scratch a couple of ounces may lead me to deal with the set up and squealin as well as the Maguras are very pricey though lighter. The old adage of "how fast, how much" or in this case "how light, how much".

Thanks again.

anotherbrian said:
I've used a combination of the Hope's, and found the "feel" (modulation and firmness of the lever) to be better on the Mini than the M4. I can endo my 200lb self just as easily with the Minis as the M4s. The same discs are available for each.

After carefully facing my disc mount tabs, mine squeal when hot (overheated?), though are silent the rest of the time. I'll be trying aftermarket pads.

Setup for the Hopes isn't difficult, though it can be time consuming. The Hopes use shim washers to position the caliper, and you need to remove the caliper to add/remove shims, and remove the wheel to remove the caliper. If the bike is in a workstand, and you do an optimal binary search, it should only take a few minutes. If you can't figure out how the thicknesses of the shims effect the offset, it can take hours. You should only ever have to reshim if you switched hub/disc.

The Hopes are bled like any auto/motorcycle brake system, so maintenance is easy. The hose fittings on the Hopes are reusable, and there is no need to have spare parts on hand if you disconnect the hoses (I don't have experience with the SL's, just HS-33s which I like very much, other than the disposable olives and bleeding procedure).

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hopes are plenty strong...

if you need more go one size larger up front (180) with 160 in the rear. I have been riding this setup for a year and can't say enough about it. Just my 2 cents.

JR

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
I've got the M4s now and had the minis before, I'm not real big at 165lbs but I prefer the M4s a little more. Don't get me wrong, the Minis are fantastic but if you're a big guy are brakes really a good place to be worried about a few grams?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You should add the Louise FR to your list. Not as light, not as costly. Killer performance.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Hope

boboso said:

Current choices

Thanks!
Lots of good advice on this board. I'm bias toward Hope. Although, I've never owned a Magura brake, couple of buddies of mine do and they seem to be rife with problems. Anyway...

I'm currently running the new M4 (and I'm #210 on a good day) and I can't say enough good things about this brake. They are likely overkill, but I'm big and I ride aggressive XC and the consistent perfomace and modulation of this brake is just stunning. Also, consider that the new M4 weighs as much as the old Mini.

On a side note, my old Minis are still going strong on my winter bike. A couple of years ago I installed SpeedGoat's Mini Power Clamp to fix the caliper separation issue and they have worked flawlessly since.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
EndUser said:
. . .

Also, consider that the new M4 weighs as much as the old Mini.

On a side note, my old Minis are still going strong on my winter bike. A couple of years ago I installed SpeedGoat's Mini Power Clamp to fix the caliper separation issue and they have worked flawlessly since.

. . .
Does "new M4" mean the current Mono M4's? I'd seen a comment that Hope had improved the installation and no longer required the shims, but I'm not sure if that was in reference to the post mount models vs. the IS mount.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I have the Mono M4 with IS mounts

anotherbrian said:
Does "new M4" mean the current Mono M4's? I'd seen a comment that Hope had improved the installation and no longer required the shims, but I'm not sure if that was in reference to the post mount models vs. the IS mount.
I guess I don't have the "new" Mono M4s anymore since they decided to go "postal." My reference to "new" was regarding the mono block caliper design, but that was not clear in my note.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I have the Marta SL with a 180mm front and love the power. geared up I am sitting at 195lbs and have had zero fading issues.

The regular marta's have the same stopping power and are only slightly heavier (no carbon levers) and are a good deal less money if $$$ is a concern.

I have heard that customer service from Magura is top notch, but I cant confirm that as I have yet to need their assistance (use both Marta SL and Gustavs).

Agree with another poster that the louise FR should be added to the list as they are killer as well.

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, good stuff to go one.

Regarding the weight, yeah I can loose a few :D , but if I can get it lighter while maintaining durability, I will. I tend to be a bit of a parts "ho".

I am going to look into the Magura Martas (non-sl) and Louise as well. The Hope Mono Mini set up with 180 f and 160 rear with two piece rotors seem to be calling my name.

Thanks again and happy new year to all.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
just do it! i just picked up mono m4 180s for the front and 160 mini's for my tracer.. can't wait to try them out

·
Registered
734 Posts
All IS mounts are hard to set up in that they require facing and shimming, so the Mini is no different than the other two. If you want dead simple set-up with no facing required get Shimano (XT), Sram or Hayes. But the downside of those "post mount with adaptor" systems is that they add complexity and weight.

If the price is not a problem get the M4's. You are a big guy riding aggressive XC, why are you looking at lightweight brakes. (it is fairly easy for a big guy to overheat ultra-light brakes on long technical descents) They are for light guys riding lightweight XC race bikes. If you are concerned about the extra weight (and don't mind dumping a bit more cash) get the floating (alu) rotor option on the M-4's that will bring the weight surprisingly close to the mini and you will still have the capability (and reserves) of the M4. (a lot of the extra weight of the stock M4's is in the rotors.)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had the "old" hope minis. I thought they were the greatest brakes ever, except (like grumpy said) they would heat up on extended downhills. I had a 180 front/160 rear setup with those. I switched to the mono m4s last season with a 200 front/180 rear. The braking power is ridiculous, and i love the modulation (they feel very similar to the minis). I weigh 165 and ride aggresive xc, and have had no problems with the m4's.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
anotherbrian said:
neither of my Hopes squeal. i also used pad prep between the piston and pad. set up is not bad at all. you DO NOT need to remove the wheel to remove the caliper??? i am not sure why the other poster said this. shimming is easy if you have the sense on which way things need to go as previously mentioned.

for me, i think the M4 is superior to the mini in regards to power/mod...however, this might be "in my head" because it is the way it "should" be.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marta's or Louises in 180mm flava.

Killer brakes. Someone coined the phrase of "Magura Customer Service is like sponsorship" and it's more than true. These guys really stand by their product.

No question is silly, no issue is small, no questions asked if something of them fails on you.

I recently went with Magura for a fork, additionally to my Julie brakes and couldn't be more happy.

Ask for Jimi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts