Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at one of my LBS and I am going to buy new brakes. Currently my Trek 2009 6700 came with Avid Juicy 3's. I want a very powerful brake, I used to be able to do endo's on my bikes with v-brakes but with Juicy 3's I can not. So I want something that will give me the power to do so and still work with the 2009 Trek 6700. The following companies I can order from and get employee purchase from:

Avid
Shimano
Hayes
Hope
Formula
Magura

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
The last three on your list, all have the power you are asking for. I'd go with the Magura Marta SL, if you ride XC- or lots of trails. The Maguras stop with tons of modulation, power, and don't require corrosive DoT 4 brake fluid, like the others do. Employee discounts always help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone I work with has their own idea to the best brakes, so I thought I would post.
I ride mostly singletrack/ XC. I am 6"1' and weigh 160lbs. The fork on my bike is a RockShox Recon SL 100mm. I might eventually upgrade but not now.
Other specs:http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6700/

And I would like something that I can put Goodridge brake lines on.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
How long and how many rides....

do you have on the bike? Might be a simple matter of beak in, i.e. bedding in the pads to the rotor. Most disc brakes do require a break in period before you'll see peak braking performance. Usually around 5 or 10 rides depending on the length of the rides. It also might be a simple matter of going one rotor size up on the front. Your bike comes speced with 160mm front and rear. Most riders will usually go one up on the front to increase the power of the front brake. You usually don't need the extra in the rear. Going one rotor size up tends to equalize the brakes better, i.e. for a given lever pull the rear is less likely to lock up, and you have the extra power where you need it. So it may be as easy as going to a 185mm rotor up front.

Your call, if you really want to upgrade the brakes then go for it. But I'd try the 185mm front rotor first. You might be surprised.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the J3's on my EX7, ended up putting a 203 on the front to get any power out of them but still blew some turns that I should have been able to make. Just upgraded to K24's w/ 160's. Better modulation and power than the J3's. Took longer to break in but worth the wait.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Squash said:
Might be a simple matter of beak in, i.e. bedding in the pads to the rotor. Most disc brakes do require a break in period before you'll see peak braking performance. Usually around 5 or 10 rides depending on the length of the rides. It also might be a simple matter of going one rotor size up on the front.

But I'd try the 185mm front rotor first. You might be surprised.

Good Dirt
I have had the bike for 3 months with about 400 miles on it. I never thought of just trying a bigger rotor in the front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.