Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search, and I couldn't find anything along the lines of what I am wanting to do. I know you ladies and gents are in the know when it comes to structural integrity, and what is a good or bad idea.

I have an older Bontrager frame, post Trek, so I don't think I am going to cause much of a ruckus, from which I am building a commuter/campus bike. I have an extra set of nice, and never used, wheels sitting in the garage (Surly SS disk hubs, laced to Salsa Delgado Cross/29er rims) that I would love to use. In order to do this, I am in need of a rear brake which leads me to my idea.

I was thinking of drilling the center of the "Y" on the seat stays to mount a dual pivot caliper/roadie style brake about where the red arrow is pointed.

I would much rather have the canti posts moved up, or maybe an ISO disk mount, but finding someone to do that work on the cheap is an exercise in futility... and rightfully so.

Would drilling out the frame in that location have any adverse effects on the frame? ...or would this be a good time to just order one of the Mavic or Xtracycle canti post adapters?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Couple easier solutions

1. Find a framebuilder to put on another set of canti bosses. Probably $50-75 if you're not picky about the paint.
2. Get some Paul Motolites: http://paulcomp.com/motobmx.html
Pricey, but very nice, and will work great with the existing canti posts.

IMO, your solution would also work, but you'll need a SUPER long reach brake, and it'll be pretty ghetto (then again, you already said you don't care much about that).

-Walt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I contacted a few frame builders in the area, and all are backed up till mid summer, so adding studs at this time is a bit out of the question. I was looking at the Mavic adapters, but could find none in stock... anywhere.

Then I ran into Xtracycle, and found they make an adapter that is hollowed out, and appears to be something that may work well.

Should be here this week, and I will see if it does the job. If not, I am just going to plunk down and get a set of LDC v-brakes.

which are designed with over 2" of pad adjustment.

Thanks for the help all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.