Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brake cables rubbing the paint off on Ignition bike

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  wickerman1 
#1 ·
Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster. Got a question for you IBEX owners.
I have the Ignition 2 and noticed that the brake cables rub against the headset and other frame parts which, over time, will scrape the paint off in those places. To fix this, I tried to wrap the cables with a black friction tape. In case you wonder what that is, friction tape is an electrical cloth tape (if you own a German car you probably have seen it because the German car makes wrap wire bundles in the car with this tape).
Anyway, this prevents the cables from rubbing the paint off but unfortunately the tape leaves a sticky black residue and looks bad. Does anyone have a better idea what to do?

Other that this the bike is awesome. I have owned it for 6 months and it is solid as a rock.

#2 ·
Very common

Cable rub is a very common occurance. In addition to tape, there are bike specific products, some clear, some colored, to prevent cable rub.

Glad you like the bike.

Bob

#3 · (Edited)
Barty,

.............:rant: ....WELCOME to the FORUMs......:band: ............

This might just be what the DOC ordered::) Bonk! Paint Protection Film Do It Yourself Kit

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14620-400_BNKDI6-3-Parts-60-Frames/Bonk!-Paint-Protection-Film-Do-It-Yourself-Kit.htm
NOT WORKING!!! GO TO EDIT:

Good luck and enjoy...:D

Jake Pay,
POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

EDIT: I cant get the WEB LINK to working!!
So just CLICK HERE:
http://www.pricepoint.com/subList-3-Parts.htm ..its in the FRAMES department...
SORRY.....:sad:

........................:rant: ..........THE WELCOMING COMMITTEE.....................
:D:eekster::yawn::eek: :arf::ihih::cornut::D :eek:ut::shocked::yesnod::blush::smilewinkgrin::band::rockon::headphones::winker::prft::lol::incazzato::crazy::cryin::yikes::rolleyes::thumbsup: .............................................................................................

#5 ·
Barty,

Barty said:
This Bonk product looks promissing although it is a tad pricey don't you think? Or maybe I am just cheap. ;)
Cheap, that I cant say..:lol:
Pricey, thats up to your piggy bank..:smilewinkgrin:

Iam running $2000 worth of componets on a totally Up-graded 05' ALPINE 350(the bottom feeder of the hardtails)..for myself $21 wouldnt cover 1/10 of my rear deraileur..But I do know my Piggy runs when it see's me coming..:lol::lol::lol:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih::yesnod::winker::smilewinkgrin::lol: :prft::ciappa: :lol:

#7 · (Edited)
Barty,

Heres more to check out..:thumbsup: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=2611

Happy shopping,:)

Jake Pay,POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :prft::ciappa: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::lol:

EDIT: I suggested the BONK because it comes in rolls and can be cut to the size you need..:D Its clear, and theres enough to do quite a few re-dos..When re-placing you can use "GOOF-OFF"(any big name Hardware should carry) to remove the glue residue and not hurt the finish on your ride..:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Pay Here said:
Heres more to check out..:thumbsup: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=2611

Happy shopping,:)

Jake Pay,POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih: :prft::ciappa: :yesnod::smilewinkgrin::lol:

EDIT: I suggested the BONK because it comes in rolls and can be cut to the size you need..:D Its clear, and theres enough to do quite a few re-dos..When re-placing you can use "GOOF-OFF"(any big name Hardware should carry) to remove the glue residue and not hurt the finish on your ride..:thumbsup:
You are well protected. :eekster:

#15 · (Edited)
Heres the rest of the gang..

:sad: :sleep: :???: :lol: :eek:ut: :prft: :shocked: :yikes: :yesnod: :winker: :blush: :smallviolin: :smilewinkgrin: :rant: :band: :headphones: :rockon: :drumroll:

I think thats it...:thumbsup:

.....................:rant: ......RIDE B:yikes: .......................................

#19 ·
Duct Tape?

Holy resurrecting threads Batman!

So, just wondering what ya'll think about (judiciously) using good olf fashioned duct tape for cable rub? I know it's not the right fix for all places where this occurs...but just wondering more about any possible problems. I.e., would it be bad for the paint, etc?

I'm not too familiar with bike paint in general, but even less so with the kind that Ibex has gone with. You're probably aware by this point, but just in case...I've got an '05 Apogee Sport. Love it in general, but I'm getting some pretty bad cable rub and haven't been too impressed with the quality of the paint in general and some of the choices on cable routing.

I guess I should clarify, it just seems liike the paint they've gone with is a lot more delicate, scratch prone, and cable rub prone than other bikes I've owned and ridden. Minor issues in relation to bike build and components quality, but I've got to be honest.

So, any thoughts on duct tape? Yeah, I know some of you might think it'll look like crap, but just wondering more about the non-aesthetics comments. Besides, they now make duct tape in lots of fun new colors...maybe this is a yet untested way to "customize" my Ibex. :yikes:

TIA!

#20 ·
I think they would work OK although let me warn you, if you ever decide to take the tape off you will have one heck of a time to get the glue off your brake cables.

May I suggest my budget approach. Go to your local hobby store (like HobbyLand) and in the model airplane section you will find something called scuff tape. This is a clear vinyl tape about 1 inch in width that RC modellers use to protect wing tips on a model plane from being scuffed when accidently tipping the wing too much on landing (don't ask me how I know this ;-)
This tape only cost $1.50 per package. Buy two packages and you have planty to do the whole bike with extras left over. You will apply the tape on the frame where the brake cables rub. I did this couple months ago and it works great. Plus, you cannot see the tape unless you are really looking for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.