Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHere is the best place to attach brake (hyrdo) cable mounts/ whats the best mounting product. *Front fork*
(New IH 7.3 and I want to minimize cable rub)
Pics would help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
WHere is the best place to attach brake (hyrdo) cable mounts/ whats the best mounting product. *Front fork*
(New IH 7.3 and I want to minimize cable rub)
Pics would help!:thumbsup:
for a bike that I built for my SO recently, I purchased these adapters from the LBS and ran it parallel her cable routing.

Attachments

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I wish thats what Iron Horse did the rear der cable in on the chainstay!..
It's routed along the chainstay to minimize movement under suspension compression. By routing the cables close to the main pivot you will have less ghost shifting or kinks in the cable/housing.

-ska todd

·
Registered
473 Posts
there's a guide on Marz forks, but unless I'm crazy you have to thread bare hose straight thru it- I could never get a cable to just snap in. Since taking the hose off a hydro brake is too much work for me, I just run it up the back of the leg, past where the cable guide was ( I always just remove it) then over the arch to the front and secure with 3 cable ties.

I used to go up the front of the fork leg but I've decided in back is better for the limited protection. Just be sure the ties are nice n tight so the hose doesn't slip and hit tire :eek:

I put electrical tape all over my 7point, anyplace there could be some cable rub, just to be safe.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I think Im going to do now that I have a half cut up old tire Im just going to zip tie it to parts that can have cable rub, I dont like electrical tape cause it leaves a sticky mess....(Im going to use tape on the crown)

·
Registered
473 Posts
elec tape is ghetto but it's cheap and much lighter than an old tire, also easier to apply/remove especially up front. Personally I like the Mad Max look on my bikes, but I can totally see how some people would rather use something else. I use old fork boots on my stays :D

Get those stick on things capoz77 mentioned, those sound cool! The sticky goo comes off with a little work, I got some goo remover from a hardware store and that takes it right off.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isnt the only way you can get the brake cable through the tube is disconecting it from the caliper? What is the little peice that holds the zip tie so the cable can run through it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.