Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to upgrade the braking performance on my touring rig, especially at the rear.

My current set up includes road levers on standard cantis.

Brake boosters (arches) typically interfere with my rear rack, but I'll take the rack off and give one a try. I've also upgraded the pads.

My LBS suggested new, stiffer housing to go with a new stainless, pre-stretched cable. The housing he suggests is SIS derailleur housing, rather than spiral-wound brake housing. But I have a concern, given that Sheldon Brown has posted a warning on his web site that SIS housing can't handle braking loads. Sheldon's advice is usually pretty sound, but I was wondering if anyone had other thoughts.

Also, if it comes to it, I may try V=brakes with my road levers, either with an adapter such as a Travel Agent, or by using Tektro Mini-Vs. Does anyone have any comments on the Mini-Vs with road levers?

Thanks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Sheldon's advice should be heeded, unless it's a compressionless stranded housing that's designed with braking in mind (sometimes with a kevlar weave around the wire strands).

The problem with longituidinally stranded SIS type housing is that under high compressive loads, such as a very firm brake lever squeeze, the strands will separate, splitting the outer jacket and exposing the (now useless) brake cable.

However, lots of choices exist for compressionless brake cable housing, including Avid Flak Jackets and Jagwire Rattler Mac.

I remain a firm believer in properly prepared, plain 'ol sprial housing. I run it full length, and take a little extra time making sure the ends are cut square, open and smooth. And based on your description, I'd bet the brake booster will give you the greater performance enhancement.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Get a new LBS. Brake housing is for brakes, Derailluer housing is for....you guessed it derailluers. Buy the cheap stuff and replace it when your shifting/braking suffers. Sheldon Brown is a freak, but a smart freak. In fact post the name of that LBS here so others know not to go there. My take is that your never going to get "awesome" performance from your setup. It is a touring bike right? Are you comparing or trying to match your brake performance to a mountain bike? If you are save your money because it won't happen.....jdcamb

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Pugoet said:
My LBS suggested new, stiffer housing to go with a new stainless, pre-stretched cable. The housing he suggests is SIS derailleur housing, rather than spiral-wound brake housing. But I have a concern, given that Sheldon Brown has posted a warning on his web site that SIS housing can't handle braking loads. Sheldon's advice is usually pretty sound, but I was wondering if anyone had other thoughts.
The only exception would be the Kevlar braid type derailleur housing. It's strong enough to work for brakes. But no need since you can get a lifetime supply of kevlar spiral housing for $20 +$5 shipping at Specialized...

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=8480&JServSessionIdroot=2nymd6dtue.j27001

You might as well pick up a box of the derailleur housing as well.

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Homebrew said:
The only exception would be the Kevlar braid type derailleur housing. It's strong enough to work for brakes. But no need since you can get a lifetime supply of kevlar spiral housing for $20 +$5 shipping at Specialized...

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=8480&JServSessionIdroot=2nymd6dtue.j27001

You might as well pick up a box of the derailleur housing as well.
Wow thats a good deal. Is this the same kind of housing that jagwire makes? Thanks for pointing this out, probably gonna get deraileur and brake housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts