Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of the Hayes HFX mags that I think are due for a bleed. They still work fine but haven't had a fluid change in 2 seasons. I reviewed the manual and the whole process just looks like a royal pain, with lots of opportunity for spilled DOT fluid. I'm no slouch with a wrench but I've never done a bleed and fluid change before. My LBS mechanic will do the whole ordeal for $20. Should I just have him do it or try it myself? If you suggest that I try it, any tips or advice on how best to proceed? I have Hayes' bleed kit and a good work stand and all the necessary tools - thanks for any input.

·
Registered
804 Posts
hayes bleeding

IMHO, Hayes are very easy to bleed. Done carefully, you will not spill a drop of fluid. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend using a big syinge instead of the Hayes bottle that comes with their "kit".

There is always the possibility of error, if you have a good mechanic and do not want to do it yourself for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with that. $20 is a very fair pice for bleeding a pair of brakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's pretty easy

The very first time I did it I spilled a little fluid. I just did it again a couple of days ago with a syringe like (Mr. Beans suggested) and no spillage. If you have a work stand it's real easy. I used this as a guide...

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=1972

The container I used for the overflow was an empty Gatorade bottle with a wire coathanger. Wrap the hanger around the mouth of the Gatorade bottle and then wrap the other end around the brake lever. I used some tape to secure the overflow hose to the inside of the gatorade bottle. The whole process took about 15-20mins.

·
Registered
239 Posts
frank n. beans said:
IMHO, Hayes are very easy to bleed. Done carefully, you will not spill a drop of fluid. If you do it yourself, I'd recommend using a big syinge instead of the Hayes bottle that comes with their "kit".

There is always the possibility of error, if you have a good mechanic and do not want to do it yourself for whatever reason, there is nothing wrong with that. $20 is a very fair pice for bleeding a pair of brakes.
Like Fn'B's said, the Hayes brakes are relativily easy. If you NEVER plan on working on your brakes yourself, you can skip the learning experience. I just find it much more convienient and satisying to work on my ride myself. It may seem a little cumbersome the 1st. time you do the bleed but after that, it is all of a 15 - 20 minute process. I just got done installing a ride kit, verified SPV operation and did a semi-bath change on my Black Platinum forks. Spent a day or so going over the pictorial diagrams, the on-line maintenance manual and rounding up the necessary parts. After a couple of hours, I had it all put back together, it really was a very simple project.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a whirl. The syringe idea looks like it will be way easier than the little squeeze bottle. I just need to find a place to pick one up. That article link was really helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.