Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im new to the downhill/freeride scene, i rode a friends bike and i was instantly hooked, so i want to convert my 2007 GT chucker 2.0 into a meaner bike so i have been looking at forks, i am probably picking up a pair of 2005' NIXON super IT with 145 mm of tavel and along with those forks im buying 20mm marzocchi front hub and then a front and rear Magura Venti Disc brake rotor, ROTOR ONLY, and i have a stock sized 6" brake, so i need to know about the deal with brake adaptors theres the 74mm gap between bolts or the 51mm i believe this fork im buying is a 74mm, but im not sure how the spacers work where you can convert the gap from a 74mm to a 51mm, and if so i need the 74mm to the 51 right? well so far this site hasn't let me down so thanks guys!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The adapter depends on what type of brake you currently have. So... what brake do you currently have? What size rotors are you looking at?

It's not a good idea to put all this stuff on a frame that was never intended for DH/FR. A longer travel fork will slack out the frame, jack up the BB height, and put more stress on the headtube. The geometry of a freeride bike is much different than that of a DH bike, and both are entirely different machines than cross country or recreational bikes. Isn't the Chucker more of a dirt jump bike?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The adapter depends on what type of brake you currently have. So... what brake do you currently have? What size rotors are you looking at?

It's not a good idea to put all this stuff on a frame that was never intended for DH/FR. A longer travel fork will slack out the frame, jack up the BB height, and put more stress on the headtube. The geometry of a freeride bike is much different than that of a DH bike, and both are entirely different machines than cross country or recreational bikes. Isn't the Chucker more of a dirt jump bike?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=316823 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol dont get much into the forks, how is 145 a much longer travel than 100mm? well i'll ask around about that much later even if i have to go to one of my LBS, i have a 6" brake rotor, and my current setup for brakes is 51mm, so if i put a fork thats a 74mm gap i need the downsizing piece right?, yeah the way it sounds i might just be buying a pair of DJ two's...thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.