Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my frame ordered today and some XT m785 2012 shimano brakes I need to know what adaptors do I need. I went ahead with the XT rotors with 160mm rear and 180mm front the front fork is a Marz 44 ti. Any help would be appreciated as I am trying my best to have all the parts in hand to put it together next week.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Fork is post mount.

Brakes seem to only be available in post mount (earlier XT were available in post and IS).

Front adaptor is 180 post to post.

Assuming IS mounts on the rear like my RIP 9 (can someone else confirm?)

Then rear adaptor is 160 IS to post.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that is like a foreign language to me.

Ok so I dont need any adaptor for the front?
The rear needs the post to is160 mount?

Will any brand work or do you need the shimano specific mount?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Translation is available at Wikipedia ;)

Basically a post mount is 74mm bolt spacing and IS is 51mm bolt spacing and the orientation of the bolts is different.

The ones you need are the fourth and sixth ones on this page

Wiggle | Shimano Disc Brake Calliper Adapter Brake Spares

To answer your specific questions:

1) you do need an adaptor for the front. With no adaptor your brake caliper will bolt straight on to the fork but only fit a 160mm rotor. The adaptor spaces the caliper further away to accommodate the 180mm rotor.

2) Yes but I think the convention is IS to post referring to the frame/fork first then the caliper.

3) Maybe other brands will work but I highly recommend Shimano. They will be shaped to clear their calipers and to exactly match their rotor diameters. I have mixed and matched adaptors, calipers and rotors and sometimes it just doesn't quite work and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.