Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got my wheels in today for the spot, last piece or the puzzle, sweet wheels put together by Larry. Anyway I ran into a problem with my brake adapter rubbing my rotor on the front. I have a Pike 454 running 20mm axle. I am running Shimano XT brakes and I have the adapter for the 20 mm 160 rotor which I am running in the front, ya I probably should have went with the 180 , but oh well. Anyway the rear works like a charm by the way (who needs front brakes I'm thinking) just kidding, maybe not. I called the good guys at Redstone and they told me that I need to get the disc mounts on the Pike faced, he has run into this before. Problem is I'm quite away from a bike shop. He also informed me that I could try to dremel it, but since they are xt they only adjust sideways so if I screw up it would not be good. So I started thinking, ya I do that from time to time, I have an extra front adapter that I could try shaving some material off instead of the disc tabs on the fork, can't see why this wouldn't work as opposing taking material off the tab. If it fails, I'm only out an adapter and I so have an extra one. We have got hit with quite a bit of snow so I'm in no hurry. Any other bright ideas out there?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
ive had this happen on avids. theres a few ways to fix this depending on what yer exact problem is and despite all the info ya gave, a few key pieces are missing. some good pics will indeed help. listen to tll. he be all smart and stuff.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
that thing is massive! looks like a boxxer adaptor. youve been sent or youve purchased the wrong part. just about any IS to 160mm adaptor will work. call larry or dave and tell em exactly what ya have for a fork and a brake. youll have yer bit in no time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cactuscorn said:
that thing is massive! looks like a boxxer adaptor. youve been sent or youve purchased the wrong part. just about any IS to 160mm adaptor will work. call larry or dave and tell em exactly what ya have for a fork and a brake. youll have yer bit in no time.
LOL, thanks CC will do

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
toss adapter

Put an IS 'rear' caliper on the front and you will need NO adapter for a 180mm rotor. Totally clean setup, cant say it will fix the possibly tweaked IS tabs, but a different amount of shim top and bottom will.

DT

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
As mentioned above, that is an adapter made specifically for another silly Brake 'standard' that Marz invented and was the only one to ever use (well Hayes went along with the poor idea and made the adapters). Marz used post mounts that were set further out from the hub on their 20mm forks and made up their own name that unfortunately included the therm 'I.S." but it is NOT I.S.

Any true IS adapter will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.