Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lower SSV was clear a few weeks ago, but higher elevation areas still have plenty of drifts. Waldrop was maybe 50% rideable, the top of SSV still had a few drifts, but was mostly clear.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Very nice!! I used to go camping, fishing and snowshoeing Brainard all the time, but never ridden around the area. Looks like I might have to head up there again.

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
anyone started at the research station?

I don't mind waiting a little. All my local stuff is perfect right now.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Shut 'er down this p.m. ....

A light rain, and some shiite eat'n on the church camp bypass... but...

DANG! it's great to get back on that trail!!!!:thumbsup:

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
nOOby said:
I rode the research end a week ago, and you started hitting snow at the halfway point bridge, then the last 1/2 mile or so up to the road was unpassable. I'm sure it's a little better by now.

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
thanks davec. rode sourdough yesterday, all clear. saw one mtb and two hikers on trail, excluding the campsite folks. seems like that system can handle the rain pretty well, rocks don't turn to mud.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
davec113 said:
You were there, right? :p
Thanks for the compliment, but my tool was not up to the task. :D
Moose, what section of the SD did you ride? I was on the northern, from camp dick, south to the wapiti and back.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
upper SSV just a few snow drifts? Our original plan was Sourdough starting from Beaver- Wapiti- Sourdough- SSV descent. Wish we stuck to the plan but was deceived by the dryness and opted to venture higher. Attempted little raven to get the long descent but was foiled. Turned into post holing session. Drifts too numerous to count numbers still 4+ feet high- little bit was rideable. We saw more snow drifts at start of upper SSV so went to red rocks TH to get to sourdough and did lower SSV. It was in great shape and good to do some higher elevation riding. Saw no other bikes other than a cute blonde from England who was makin a go from Switzerland trail to Beaver and a bike for three crusing down brainard road. It's going to be some time before little raven is a go- 4weeks?

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
Just to be clear, the upper section of SSV is not really ready. We rode it from Brainard Lake on Saturday and the first mile+ was nothing but big drifts, postholing and mud. The last two miles to the junction with sourdough B were great though. Little Raven looked like it must be unpassable.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dirtydoug said:
upper SSV just a few snow drifts? Our original plan was Sourdough starting from Beaver- Wapiti- Sourdough- SSV descent. Wish we stuck to the plan but was deceived by the dryness and opted to venture higher. Attempted little raven to get the long descent but was foiled. Turned into post holing session. Drifts too numerous to count numbers still 4+ feet high- little bit was rideable. We saw more snow drifts at start of upper SSV so went to red rocks TH to get to sourdough and did lower SSV. It was in great shape and good to do some higher elevation riding. Saw no other bikes other than a cute blonde from England who was makin a go from Switzerland trail to Beaver and a bike for three crusing down brainard road. It's going to be some time before little raven is a go- 4weeks?
Well, there's just a few drifts from the intersection of Waldrop w/SSV on down... attempting LR was just pure madness though ;)

·
Heathen
768 Posts
nOOby said:

I don't mind waiting a little. All my local stuff is perfect right now.
Did Sourdough from there a week ago Sat. Snow drifts up high but nothing major.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts