Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
stooge
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my helmet was destroyed on the trail sunday morning. as designed, the corresponding head and brain were not. this was the first major head impact ive had in a long cycling career as a mtn biker, roadie and full time commuter. had i not been wearing my helmet, i would have been splattered on a tree. check out the pics

Attachments

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
naawillis said:
my helmet was destroyed on the trail sunday morning. as designed, the corresponding head and brain were not. this was the first major head impact ive had in a long cycling career as a mtn biker, roadie and full time commuter. had i not been wearing my helmet, i would have been splattered on a tree. check out the pics
Ouch! Glad to hear you're not carrying your brain in a bucket. What model Giro was that? Will you be replacing it with the same thing? How's your neck?

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Hey, I did the same thing to my Xen too. I walked away from that fall shaken up and cut up, but nothing else. Some people might get freaked out that the helmet broke like it did, but it's exactly what it's designed to do. The energy from a fall has to go somewhere. I'd prefer it to go into the helmet and not my skull. And yes, I speak from experience. Two skull fractures, two concussions, loss of hearing in my left ear, etc, etc will teach you the value of helmets.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Giro does have a replacement policy, where you get a credit on a new helmet. If you send the the helmet, the receipt, and a letter detailing the accident, they MIGHT send you a credit. I'd asssume it's heavily prorated.

If you take advantage of that, you should also send them a fruit basket or something to thank them for making a product that saved your noggin. :thumbsup:

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Giro does have a crash replacement policy. They'll sell you a discounted helmet at a reasonable price. You can use that credit toward an upgrade or get the same helmet you had. It's a pretty good deal all things considering.

Occasionally, they publish rider's stories in their company news letter for their employees to read. Specifically, the factory workers. The idea is that it helps put value on manufacturing jobs, which in turn keeps moral and quality high. It couldn't hurt.

G

·
I have a similarly fractured helmet. I got whiplash and a concussion from my spill but I hate to think what would have happened without the helmet. It surely makes you realize the value of a good helmet. I wish there were progressive crash test ratings of these things. They design them to meet the required ANSI standard and then spend most of their effort making them fashionable.

bm

·
Pro Lurker
79 Posts
Glad to hear your OK. I did a header superman style into a tree stump two weeks ago, didnt break the helmet but jammed my neck pretty good. Oh yea I broke the tree stump in half! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
592 Posts
UIff! I have broken more helmets than I can recall. Um, did I mention that even these smaller head-hits are cumulative? Yes, I see the irony here.

Really, I am glad that these lids are doing their jobs. Now if we could just avoid needing them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.