Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some topics where people show off with pics of their bikes or a newly purchased item. But WHAT you ride and how much does it cost is totally irrelevant; HOW you ride is what's important! The MTBR adage "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" is my new motto :) And also my own: "ride it until it breaks, then (and only then) replace it!"

So let's start a thread to brag how TOUGH you are (with pics if possible; only personal accounts please!)

Starting with me:

My bike: mid-range hardtail with everything stock (except for the front brake, see my story #2).
Style: XC; would love to try AM/DH but local terrain is way too flat for that. Thus, no kewl jumping/flying pics - you're free to overbrag me with this :)

1. I'm so TOUGH that I've managed to tear a chunk out of a saddle bag by the sheer downward force (failed to clear a hole properly with a rear wheel after a (botched) bunny hop). The force of impact was so immense that it also broke the bag's mounting plank (attached to the saddle's struts).
2. I'm so TOUGH that I've lost a braking pad from stock Hayes MX4. It was pushed out by the dirt!! "WTF? Why's my front brake is so ineffective? Most likely the dirt got between the pad and the disc…" - such were my thoughts during the ride. Only back at home I discovered the appalling truth! [no pic for this one, sorry]
No, I won't be buying pads for this subpar brake; will break the bank and go Avid BB7!
Right, here it is. Installed it (love the quick-dial adjustment and CPS positioning system!) and… I'm so TOUGH that I managed to ruin pads of my new brake on the first outing! (took me some time to figure out later why this super brake is not braking as efficiently as it should heh)
3. I tried to find a riding partner at a local MTB forum: "Looking for someone to accompany me in my hard rides through field/forest, at 6 mph average speed". Got a response: "6 mph? HARD?.. How long have you been riding mate?"
"Weeell, I'm so TOUGH I'm riding through the field and I mean it - literally through the unplowed grassy field bumping into mole holes and logs, with HR clocked at 175"
"Erm, not my cuppa tea mate, sorry…"
4. After finishing one of these sessions I escaped to the asphalt road leading home. After the off-road I braaped so hard and TOUGH that I speeded to and almost hit a car going in the same direction as me. The driver freaked out when he saw me in mirror and hit the pedal really hard, accelerating with tyres screeching.
5. I'm so TOUGH that when I had an OTB (was dead tired, didn't have enough strength to hop over a log), I hit the bar with an unprotected leg just an inch or two above the knee armour edge. Oh wait, this sounds more like an epic fail…
Ahem. Let us continue:
5. I'm so TOUGH that I carry Cold Steel Voyager XL with 6" blade as a self-defense weapon (no CCW in this damn country). Helped me once to scare away a pack of feral dogs!
6. I'm so TOUGH that trains honk as an encouragement when they see me battling marsh and dirt by the railroad.
7. Oh, THE dirt: I eat dirt for breakfast and drink muddy water with it. Rolling over it on stock semi-slick tyres (oh man this is really hard!! I have to admit to have finally ordered some meaty Maxxis tyres, now impatiently waiting for them)
8. And I wear leather combat boots while riding, not some fancy biking sneakers.

These (and some other) pics on Flickr:
Flickr: Alexander Ivashkin's Photostream

Attachments

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Stubborn, not tough

I'm very stubborn, not tough. So I have never quit on a ride. Last week I did a solo 40 miles above the north rim of the Grand Canyon in potential hypothermia weather, cold and very windy.

Last summer on my first Tahoe ride of the season I had my worst fall ever only two miles into a 37 mile ride. I sprained both hands (couldn't shift with my left thumb), scraped up my left arm, split my shin open (which later required stitches), and cracked a rib. I finished the ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, poor maintenance and riding wet, muddy trails makes you tough? Guess I'm a real pvssy then.
Yes. And also saying it with a sense of humor also makes him a good poster. I bet he hasn't shaved his legs either, and he prolly doesnt wear spandex - both of which are an outward manisfestation of internal pvssification. Spandex is for skanks! Combat boots and mud. TOUGH. I hope you had some ding-dongs and Slim-Jims in that seat bag.

I need to add some pics, but i snapped the rear cassette off my bike once. I was so proud, i took the broken cassette and fashioned a ghetto trophy out of it. Then i chugged a PBR and smashed the can against my head and punched a hole through space and time. PASSION.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen brake pads like that before - where the guy was using a 6" rotor on a bike set up for 7" rotors (he swapped a damaged wheel & forgot to swap the rotor). Is that what happened?
Hmm nice guess!
But actually I replaced the whole brake, with the discs. I guess the pads were shaven off by abrasive mud (I shoulda bedded them properly on a somewhat drier day, but was too eager to ride!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, poor maintenance and riding wet, muddy trails makes you tough? Guess I'm a real pvssy then.
Poor maintenance making you tough? Definitely not. It is stupid and makes you and your bike suffer :D
I cleaned the bike thoroughly afterwards and even repacked the hubs with grease, just to be on the safe side.

Riding wet? Not at all, per se. Attacking mud on stock semi-slick tyres?.. HELL YEAH. Damn it was really, really hard, with wheels slipping (couldn't even climb a long but mild incline) and the bike weighing about twice its usual. My arms ached later from hoisting it up the stairs at home.
In fact, I'd readily trade that mud to some nice gnarly desert trail!

Are you being a pvssy because you don't ride like me? Absolutely not. I'd really love to read a story of you jumping over the rock garden or getting some air time or hauling the mail at 40 mph on a dusty, neat trail! "One condition: it had to be amazing" :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last summer on my first Tahoe ride of the season I had my worst fall ever only two miles into a 37 mile ride. I sprained both hands (couldn't shift with my left thumb), scraped up my left arm, split my shin open (which later required stitches), and cracked a rib. I finished the ride.
Oi mate that's just crazy!! That's what I was hoping to hear and see when I started this thread :)
You're TOTALLY TOUGH, I'll grant you that! Even considering cheating with the codeine ;)
(just kidding; must've been really painful...)

Love the scenery pics, too, they're fantastic!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you had some ding-dongs and Slim-Jims in that seat bag.
Slim-Jims?.. I've had there a piece of raw meat ready to be gnawed!

I need to add some pics, but i snapped the rear cassette off my bike once. I was so proud, i took the broken cassette and fashioned a ghetto trophy out of it.
Really?.. Wow. That's pretty rough eh!

Then i chugged a PBR and smashed the can against my head and punched a hole through space and time. PASSION.
:D :D :D

Oh don't even get me started on this... I'm so TOUGH that I know "the time can be re-written"! Because, you see, "the time is just a ball of wibbly-wobbly time-whime stuff" :cool:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.