Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can use some advice here. Im a little on the fence on wether i should buy a BR frame and build it up or just buy a Parker II complete. Im on a budget so I cant get the BR complete. I would prefer the BR but the Parker is real tempting. I woluld really like to hear some opinions on this! Thank you! :madman:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
jmk7803 said:
I can use some advice here. Im a little on the fence on wether i should buy a BR frame and build it up or just buy a Parker II complete. Im on a budget so I cant get the BR complete. I would prefer the BR but the Parker is real tempting. I woluld really like to hear some opinions on this! Thank you! :madman:
Parker's a brand new frame that mysteriously looks like a Bottlerocket.....which mysteriously looks like a beefed up dakar. :confused: They hired Jordi Lunn to help give the Parker some street cred, but it's hard to tell how well it'll hold up until folks have more ride time on it.

The Bottlerocket has been around for a couple of years. It's, by far, the best selling bike for Transition and a lot of people have beaten the hell out of it. It's versatile as hell which is obvious by the ways that people use them from xc riding to full on dh. The transition boys are setting themselves apart from a lot of brands with their great customer service which might even rival Dave Turner......always a good consideration if / when things go wrong.

Understood on the budget considerations.....so only you can make the right call.

Cheers,
EB

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,747 Posts
I agree with EB too. Also I've noticed the similarities, but the Parker doesn't look as burly as the BR at the drop-outs and rear stays. It also has less travel (and I really wish I had 6.5 inches on my BR.) I can't speak for Jamis's customer service either, but the Transition guys are definatly setting an example of listening to the people! Call them up and see what pricing they can give you on stuff for a complete... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hey Uncle, do you really think the extra inch of travel would make that big of a difference? Are you mainly speaking of small bump compliance and the ability to handle the nasty stuff better? I could see where an extra inch would allow for a little more sag and better early stroke plushinocity.

Oh, OP get the BR. It looks like Jamis is trying to ride TBC's coat tails and until it becomes a proven design I'd wait. Plus when you look down at that jamis while you're riding you'll be bummed knowing that with a little patients you could've had a BR. AND, you'll be able to build it up exactly how you want it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help guys. I think i am going to go with the bottlerocket. Besides i love building a bike myself.Thanks again all.

·
Registered
960 Posts
How long will it take you to build up the BR?

If it means missing a bunch of riding time, why don't you buy the parker, and then save the money, ride, and get the BR frame down the road and switch the parts over.

However, if you can save and not lose riding time, go for the BR, it's the better frame for sure.

You have to do what makes sense to you. but sacrificing riding time doesn't make sense to me. You can always make more money, but you can't get back lost time!

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,747 Posts
combatkimura said:
Are you mainly speaking of small bump compliance and the ability to handle the nasty stuff better? I could see where an extra inch would allow for a little more sag and better early stroke plushinocity.
Yup. I really love my BR in the handling dept. though. It really does rail trail! The rear suspension just isn't quite enough for my style of smash & crash... :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure i can have the bike built by June so it wont be to bad. I have another biketo so i wont miss any riding time. Its probably better if i just get the frame ordered and take it from there. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts