Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Fear
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of changing my 06 66RC2X with a Boxxer race or team.
I have used my marz for 1.5 year. Due I have always serviced it on time .Like changing fluid and seals . But anything in this world has a life time.

I can trade my 66 with a brand new Boxxer team or race and receive some cash too. ( around 250 $) .

But I cant ignore Marzocchies quality . I have saw so many photos of boxers broken lowers . Specially from the arch .i personally thing its as rock shox parallels its spring and damper. But Marz puts a spring and damper in series in each leg.

But after all what would you suggest me to do. Im going to ride dh courses a lot more than free riding and my frame is a Stinky . Get a new Boxxer or keep my 66 RC2X

·
Registered
159 Posts
durability, not so much.

Unfortunately to try and keep weight down marz has gone to cartridge dampers this year, the forks look killer but the carts are all kinds of trouble, if you get a good one they are great, if not, you may not see your fork for a while as it gets repaired. I'd stick with your open bath 66 maybe spring for a nice rebuild. Hopefully marz will come to there senses and go back to making the product we know and love for 09.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
HAL said:
Unfortunately to try and keep weight down marz has gone to cartridge dampers this year, the forks look killer but the carts are all kinds of trouble, if you get a good one they are great, if not, you may not see your fork for a while as it gets repaired. I'd stick with your open bath 66 maybe spring for a nice rebuild. Hopefully marz will come to there senses and go back to making the product we know and love for 09.
hm. I think everybody who actually has the new rc3 has the opposite experience. The damper itself feels pretty fantastic, its everything else thats been problems (bushings, axle, creaking crowns). They're getting them sorted so if you get one of the new ones you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Both forks are winners

The newer (06 and later) boxxers feel fantastic. Honestly better than any fork I have ridden. If your 66 is the 170mm version, your axle to crown will be almost identical to the boxxer and the boxxer may be a tad lighter also. Boxxer will require more maintenance but I don't think they are bad and it is super easy to do. Drop the lowers every few months and clean the seals, swap the oil. Or just wait until they get stick and do it. Takes 20 minutes and requires no special tools, just a rubber mallet and allen tool.
I have a 06 66rc2x on my trail bike. Have a boxxer team on my dh bike and love it. I think the boxxer feels better. Feels better than the 888 i had before and I like it significantly more than the 40rc2 I have ridden.
If it were me, ridden and owning what I have, I would definitely consider the trade for a team and 250$. Only issue you may have is that those 06 66's are becoming more and more sought after, with the dive Marzocchi has taken. I searched forever before finding the last one I purchased, I think people are inclined to hang on to them as the new stuff coming out doesn't compare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.