Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen alot of 03' Boxxer Teams & World Cups selling used for some good prices. Are the Boxxers worth upgrading from my Jr T or should I wait and save up for a Dorado/Shiver/888???

I haven't had a RockShox in quite a while.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Team, yes, depending on what you weigh. World Cup, no, stantion coatings are BS and offer up no actual performance enhancement. Heck a Boxxer Race is better than a Jr.T, but I wouldn't buy one (again). Depending on how quickly you could save up for the other forks would make a big difference to me. If it's @ a year or more, I say check out the Boxxer Team. If less than that I would wait and save up for the Durado/Shiver/888. Ultimately, it depends on how long you feel you can put up with the Jr.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Yes, they basically all have the same general damping system, but between those three the boxxers (they both have the exact same damping) is more adanced than the Jr T. They work on the same principle but are better adaptations of the idea. The Jr T is upgradable though to HSCV cartridges, which make the boxxer "ssv" technology seem like a joke. So it depends on what you plan to do.

The world cup is exactly the same as the "team" model except for the gimmic-silver stanchions. Open bath forks don't really need "super slippery" stanchions or whatever rockshox is calling it, get the team and save yourself some $$$.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
Jm. said:
Yes, they basically all have the same general damping system, but between those three the boxxers (they both have the exact same damping) is more adanced than the Jr T. They work on the same principle but are better adaptations of the idea. The Jr T is upgradable though to HSCV cartridges, which make the boxxer "ssv" technology seem like a joke. So it depends on what you plan to do.

The world cup is exactly the same as the "team" model except for the gimmic-silver stanchions. Open bath forks don't really need "super slippery" stanchions or whatever rockshox is calling it, get the team and save yourself some $$$.
:eek: oh my god... Jm. actually.... ummm, recommended that someone buy... a.... BOXXER??? :confused:

Just to TOTALLY confuse everyone, I'd say stick with the Jr T if it's a 2003/2004 and has a QR20. You can buy an HSCV cartridge for 100 or 120 or so, and it'll make your Jr T feel completely different. If you are looking at getting something completely different, or if you have a JrT with a regularl QR, then the Boxxer Team or WC will feel much better and stiffer.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
dante said:
:eek: oh my god... Jm. actually.... ummm, recommended that someone buy... a.... BOXXER??? :confused:

Just to TOTALLY confuse everyone, I'd say stick with the Jr T if it's a 2003/2004 and has a QR20. You can buy an HSCV cartridge for 100 or 120 or so, and it'll make your Jr T feel completely different. If you are looking at getting something completely different, or if you have a JrT with a regularl QR, then the Boxxer Team or WC will feel much better and stiffer.

:cool:
i am riding a 03 boxxer team with black box upgrades to both dampers. although i can tell this fork is nicer than a stock 03 team (it was upgraded by the rs wrenchs at a national. i have also ridden a 03 team with romic upgrades on a team turner bike and the black box fork feels just a smidge better), i would have to say the fork is better than the 04 super t. the super t felt less plush but steered a little better (nice direct mount stem setup). i did notice that the boxxer felt so light compared to the super t that you could actually tell the difference in length of manuals on the trail. however i wheelied a lot farther on the super t so marzocchi once again has properly valved a slightly heavy fork. the boxxer team for less than 350 is a steal deal. but since push has not introduced a boxxer kit yet i would have to agree with dante and say buy one super t hscv damper. when push does start the boxxer rebuilds its gonna be nice because the black box upgrade is hit or miss (some forks become sweet for long periods of time with only periodic oil changes while others continue to blow dampers). but for now its seems to be a lot easier to upgrade a jr t.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.