Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Demo 8 frame. I want to put an 08 Boxxer Team on it and I believe I'm supposed to get the short crown. I'd rather get the long crown though because it's cheaper and also it matches better. Other than the stanchions sticking out, is there downside to getting a tall crown boxxer on a frame that's better suited for a short crown boxxer?

Also, is there short crown frame that's currently out that's not [email protected]?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
tall crown is to accommodate headtube+headset heights bigger than 160mm.

i dont know what you mean by the tall crown matching better. tall and short crowns all come in black. at least if you buy from rockshox.

btw, use the search function to get a more definitive answer. theres a few threads about this topic.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brillantesdv said:
tall crown is to accommodate headtube+headset heights bigger than 160mm.

i dont know what you mean by the tall crown matching better. tall and short crowns all come in black. at least if you buy from rockshox.

btw, use the search function to get a more definitive answer. theres a few threads about this topic.
Thanks. I haven't had luck with the search engine. I think the short crown comes in red and the tall comes in black. At least that's what the LBS told me and that's what I've found on the web.

The question I'm trying to ask is, can I use a Boxxer with a tall crown on a bike that is supposed to take a short crown by lowering the top crown of a tall crown fork.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
well really you want to be grabbing the stanchions as far apart as you can to keep it stiffer so if you can use the flat crown then you should. Also if you use the tall/drop crown depending on your headtube length you may even have the crown hit your frame in a locked turn (where it clamps the stanchion). So no if you run a small/medium frame most likely you will want to run a flat crown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.