Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a DH bike a couple of months ago to ride at Northstar because my trail bike was taking a bit of a beating (and the whole DH bike cost me less than a new frame for my Ibis if I were to wreck it). It's a Banshee Darkside, and it's a tank!

I only weigh 115lbs so I put new springs in the fork and shock when I got it. I went with the 300lb for the rear (Vivid R2C) and it seems fine, but the Boxxer RC is really harsh, even with an extra soft spring in it. I'm not doing massive jumps, but I am jumping, and using maybe 60% of the travel max... I have never even come close to bottoming it out. It just feels really stiff and has no small bump compliance for me, at least compared to the Pike on my trail bike (which I like a lot).

What are my options as far as softening this fork up so it doesn't beat me up quite as much? I'm happy to work on my own stuff, so maybe I could change to a lighter oil or install a different damper... I'm just looking for the option that will make the most difference so I can use all 200mm of the squish.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Very frequent service intervals and faster rebound than you may initially think is typically required.
You don't mention the model year Boxxer, but lower leg bath service every other week isn't out of line if you are riding park/DH 3-4 days a week on an older Boxxer(just a few years old).

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Yeah what year is it? Is it a charger damper?

A lower leg service will help alot, and if it has the dual oil seal + dust wiper replace them with the new 35mm rockshox SKF seals. Bushings may also be a little tight

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2017 Boxxer RC. The bike was new when I got it... so far it's got 4 DH days on it and that's it.

Totally feels like a jackhammer, lol!

·
always licking the glass
4,048 Posts
It's a 2017 Boxxer RC. The bike was new when I got it... so far it's got 4 DH days on it and that's it.

Totally feels like a jackhammer, lol!
If you can, speed up the rebound damping. When I've had that happen, I've had to open up the rebound a bit more and it made a huge difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.