Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Boxxer Race...

A lot of people seem to be unsatisfied with the Boxxer Race. However, I have that fork and I have had ZERO problems with 'em! I don't race, I just ride my bike a lot (downhill-freeride stuff...see my photos in the photo gallery) and I have not had one freakin' problem with the fork. After reading some of the reviews, I was apprehensive but I was pleasantly surprised with my forks... I love 'em! Unfortunately, I can't compare them to the other fork, but all I can say is that my Boxxer Race forks have been no problem at all.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
weird terry said:
Which fork do y'all think is better for general dh'ing (no racing)?

Thanks in advance.
well the 888 vf has ssv cartrages so if you're dh'ing it might hyra lock (lock out)...

so unless you are just doing single hits (ssv would be fine), i would tell you to go with the boxxer, but i haven't heard anything about it....

if i were you i'd go with a shiver, a slider, or a 888 rc (by saving up, just a bit more), or even a 66....

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
JBsoxB said:
well the 888 vf has ssv cartrages so if you're dh'ing it might hyra lock (lock out)...

so unless you are just doing single hits (ssv would be fine), i would tell you to go with the boxxer, but i haven't heard anything about it....

if i were you i'd go with a shiver, a slider, or a 888 rc (by saving up, just a bit more), or even a 66....
yea, id get a used shiver. my bud just got a mint 04 with integrated stem and 05 decals for 500!

shivers are the prefect fork imo, can do dh (if your not racing) and fr with absolute no problem and the dampening is amazing

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Chikity China said:
yea, id get a used shiver. my bud just got a mint 04 with integrated stem and 05 decals for 500!

shivers are the prefect fork imo, can do dh (if your not racing) and fr with absolute no problem and the dampening is amazing
mx internals...

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Chikity China said:

Shivers can race just fine too, you just gotta know how to handle the extra few pounds.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
another happy Boxxer guy!

Bobby Peru said:
A lot of people seem to be unsatisfied with the Boxxer Race. However, I have that fork and I have had ZERO problems with 'em! I don't race, I just ride my bike a lot (downhill-freeride stuff...see my photos in the photo gallery) and I have not had one freakin' problem with the fork. After reading some of the reviews, I was apprehensive but I was pleasantly surprised with my forks... I love 'em! Unfortunately, I can't compare them to the other fork, but all I can say is that my Boxxer Race forks have been no problem at all.
I have the 05 (8inch) Race on my Norco Team dh. And with the rear travel set to 8 inch it fit this bike perfectly I have had no problems at all so far and when dialed it properly feels awesome.. :D I was not real impressed with the rebound adjustment on this fork,( adjustment range seems limited) but changing the oil and increasing the oil grade in the rebound leg does wonders.

I may uprade the compression dampening later on down the road, but when I bought it was the best fork I could do on my budget without buying used

Oh and one more thing the 05's actually contain all the Black Box mod's right out of the box :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would get either a used shiver, sherman slider, etc. or get a jr. t and upgrade it with new cartriges. 90 bucks each i think... or get a super t

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Here is a thought . . .

weird terry said:
So it seems I should get anything BUT a Race or 888vf. I've seen some used '04 Super T's for decent prices. Maybe I'll check that out.Thanks Again
If you get a Jr. T and upgrade you will get a Super T (still with QR 20, which you don't want)

There is no where to go, as far as upgrades with a Super T.

If you get an 888 vf you can upgrade it to an RR (one SSV and one HSCV) or upgrade it to an R (04') or RC (05') with two HSCV cartridges.

Or, you could buy MY 04' 888 RR and upgrade it later to an R, or RC (both are the same, just different years)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.