Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shook_dh said:
ok im very confused, everywhere i ask i get diffferent answeres so now i dont know the year or the stock oil in my fork. its got brown lowers and silver stanctions. what year is it and what oil comes stock with it?
I believe from your previous threads it was determined that your fork is an 03 WorldCup. Not sure on the oil but I'm inclined to say it's 7.5, but not completely sure on that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
ok im very confused, everywhere i ask i get diffferent answeres so now i dont know the year or the stock oil in my fork. its got brown lowers and silver stanctions. what year is it and what oil comes stock with it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
the bike shop guy says its got 15wt oil in it and wants to get me 5 and 10wt oil but the charts at the rs website 03 boxxers that its got 5wt oil in both legs but the 02 has 15wt oil. can someone clear this up?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shook_dh said:
the bike shop guy says its got 15wt oil in it and wants to get me 5 and 10wt oil but the charts at the rs website 03 boxxers that its got 5wt oil in both legs but the 02 has 15wt oil. can someone clear this up?
If he says it's got 15wt oil in it and it's the guy you bought it from, chances are he probably put 15wt oil in it...

Why's it matter what weight oil's in it? If you like how it feels don't change it, if you don't like how it feels put what you should into it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
he says the fork is completly stock and charts say comletly stock 03 wc's come with 5wt oil but he says 15 so thats what got me confused. and i want to put lighter oil cus the rebound is too slow and it feels overdampned.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shook_dh said:
he says the fork is completly stock and charts say comletly stock 03 wc's come with 5wt oil but he says 15 so thats what got me confused. and i want to put lighter oil cus the rebound is too slow and it feels overdampned.
If it's completely stock then why would it be anything other than what RockShox themselves say it is?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
shook_dh said:
ok the charts say its 2.5-5wt oil. how do i know which one it is and does a lighter oil even exist? the rebound is as fast as it can go and its still too slow
okay i juswt went over to sram (like i told you already) and here is the link:

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/03_04BoxxerServiceGuide.pdf

this is an excellent technical document. pix, explanations, the whole nine yards. you need to read it. and then you will understand that you dont even have the proper tools to do the job. the charts dont say 2.5-5. they say 5/5 for the race and 5/10 for the team/wc.

this is assuming your have an 03-04. but really if you take apart the fork this manaul has enough pix so you can identify the model prolly. and you wont be able to correctly determine rebound until you change the oil/service the fork anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The '02 and prior are different than the '03 and up for oil weights. If you go too heavy in the later models, they will cavetate (spike). The older models you can play with differing oil weights, but it won't do a whole lot.

'03 to '05 - 2.5wt. in the rebound side, 5-7.5wt. in the compression side.

·
Registered
514 Posts
so if its got 2.5wt in the rebound side and the rebound is still too slow at the fastest setting with my spring rate my choises are sending it to push or getting lighter oil if it exists?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Describe slow? Not rideable? A little out of your comfort zone? Boxxers are generally too light on their rebound damping anyway. I have never heard of a boxxer with too much rebound damping.

·
Registered
514 Posts
thats the thing i duno whats in it is there a way to test what oil you have in it? and i would rather have it the way it is then put the other spring back so if i cant put lighter oil ill have to get it revalved

·
Registered
514 Posts
thanks for the replies the servise guide and the quick start pdf and the oil charts say its got 5wt oil so i really doubt its got 15 wt oil so ill get 2.5wt oil tomorow. thanks for the help

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
shook_dh said:
thats the thing i duno whats in it is there a way to test what oil you have in it? and i would rather have it the way it is then put the other spring back so if i cant put lighter oil ill have to get it revalved
Are there any motorcycle shops near you? If yes go to the service department & talk to the service manager & the mechanics. Bring 2 containers with you, 1 with the right leg fork oil the other with the left leg oil. Ask them if they can tell you what weight oil each one has & that it's for your DH mountain bike. They probibly wont be able to tell the differance. Explain to them the problem you are having be shure to tell them the stock weight & volume. They will probibly feel bad for you & set you up with the proper amount of what ever oil you need to set your fork up at no charge. If this happens be shure to say thank you i'll bring my bike by so you can check it out, be shure you bring the bike by.
Happy New Year :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
dogonfr said:
Are there any motorcycle shops near you? If yes go to the service department & talk to the service manager & the mechanics. Bring 2 containers with you, 1 with the right leg fork oil the other with the left leg oil. Ask them if they can tell you what weight oil each one has & that it's for your DH mountain bike. They probibly wont be able to tell the differance. Explain to them the problem you are having be shure to tell them the stock weight & volume. They will probibly feel bad for you & set you up with the proper amount of what ever oil you need to set your fork up at no charge. If this happens be shure to say thank you i'll bring my bike by so you can check it out, be shure you bring the bike by.
Happy New Year :D
hmm good idea i think ill do that thers a mx shop half hour away by subway ill go there tomorow. and happy new year everyone!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.