Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did most of you opt for the short crown? Or the tall crown?

Is it simply user preference? Did your bike require a taller crown?

I'm debating whether or not to get a Boxxer, and if so, to get the tall crown or the short crown.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
depends on the bike headtube and headset. if you have the tall crowns and too short of a headtube/headset combo, the stanchions might stick out too far out. some people say it messes with the leverage and you might break the stanchion. i dont know. ive never seen or heard of it happen.

my R9 with 5" tube and DH Pig headset leave about .5-.75" stanchion sticking out with a tall crown.i think thats an acceptable length. dont know the actual limit though.

if you can get the short crown to fit, i think it looks cleaner...

FYI the new 2010 boxxers will come with both crowns and a direct mount stem included.

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
The crown you use depends on the total stack height of your bike. Top of headset to lowest part of your headset. If it is 160 or under use the short crown if its 160 or up use the tall crown.

brillantesdv said:
my R9 with 5" tube and DH Pig headset leave about .5-.75" stanchion sticking out with a tall crown.i think thats an acceptable length. dont know the actual limit though
You shouldn't be gauging it by that. You need to check your bikes geometry diagram and see what axle to crown height they used to get the specs the used when designing the bike.. Then if you feel you need more or less HTA adjustment go from there.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dynamatt said:
You shouldn't be gauging it by that. You need to check your bikes geometry diagram and see what axle to crown height they used to get the specs the used when designing the bike.. Then if you feel you need more or less HTA adjustment go from there.
wasnt really gauging it. that's actually the amount of length with the correct axle to crown length. and i scoot the stanchons down a little lower to get another .5 degree of HA. thought the axle-to-crown length part was a given =/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 09 boxxer and it is way to flexy for me coming from a 40. It has a tall crown but I could get away with a short one. Does anyone specifically know if the extra leverage of a short crown will noticibly increase stiffness?

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
brillantesdv said:
thought the axle-to-crown length part was a given =/
I would think the same, but i've seen it go both ways. And with guys thinking that the crown option is more aesthetic than function makes me wonder how many guys are running improper head angles.. Well not improper but you know what i mean

·
Registered
28 Posts
shouldn't think it'll make things much stiffer runin the flat crowns. if riden several boxxers(not the 09 ones though) over the years and i think it's because the crowns are actually made from cheese is the reason the flex so much. i think that the lowers have been stiffened in the last few years but i dont think the crowns have changed that much. the new one's (2010) that will be out in the next few months are supposed to hav much better crowns. i was about to order 09 boxxers from tim flooks but he assures me the 2010 ones are worth waiting for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.