Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
The_rydster said:
Less of an issue in road cycling though I think?

Not sure why though?
Agreed.

I'll endulge in an analysis based on stereotypes. Although small builders make cool, unique bikes, they really don't work that much better than a mass produced bike. Mountain bikes (and mountain bike culture) tend to be more blue collar and functional. So having a bike that is expensive and unique for no real functional reason doesn't jive quite as well. Roadies (and roadie culture), on the other hand, are a bit more white collar and are more willing to give in to pure aesthetics and pomp. Of course, there are tons of examples against these stereotypes.

·
Nu-School Trail Rat
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pabs said:
Agreed.

I'll endulge in an analysis based on stereotypes. Although small builders make cool, unique bikes, they really don't work that much better than a mass produced bike. Mountain bikes (and mountain bike culture) tend to be more blue collar and functional. So having a bike that is expensive and unique for no real functional reason doesn't jive quite as well. Roadies (and roadie culture), on the other hand, are a bit more white collar and are more willing to give in to pure aesthetics and pomp. Of course, there are tons of examples against these stereotypes.
I see your point...

...but something interesting is that MTB was a kind of leftfield American invention...with eccentric independent frame builder types making frames in America.

Now we have mass produced Chinese bikes/frames...sold by big corporations...and a mass market/consumer MTB culture...the only people making frames in America are the boutique builders (by and large).

The likes of Ellsworth don't seem to change minor frame details every year just to help sell more 'product'.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
The_rydster said:
I see your point...

...but something interesting is that MTB was a kind of leftfield American invention...with eccentric independent frame builder types making frames in America.

Now we have mass produced Chinese bikes/frames...sold by big corporations...and a mass market/consumer MTB culture...the only people making frames in America are the boutique builders (by and large).

The likes of Ellsworth don't seem to change minor frame details every year just to help sell more 'product'.
Mountain bikers (again, generally) dislike elitism a lot more than roadies, form what I've experienced. However, from what I've seen, mountain bikers do get pretty stoked about a unique frame (like my Qball 29er). The again, now that I think about it, it's really the more serious riders that care or even notice a unique frame. Plus, there's a lot more, what I would call, "casual" muntain bikers while roadies (on the whole) tend to be serious roadies or not roadies at all. Maybe that's a factor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think large companies with lots of money to spend on R & D “design” great products. You get a good value for your $$. On the other hand paying $3000 for “made in Taiwan” is where I get turned off. For a little more you can get a nicely equipped “boutique” bike ‘Made in the USA”.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,746 Posts
The old saying is true in this case. ;) "Opinions Are Like A-Holes Everybody Has One".;)

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Pabs said:
Mountain bikers (again, generally) dislike elitism a lot more than roadies, form what I've experienced. However, from what I've seen, mountain bikers do get pretty stoked about a unique frame (like my Qball 29er). The again, now that I think about it, it's really the more serious riders that care or even notice a unique frame. Plus, there's a lot more, what I would call, "casual" muntain bikers while roadies (on the whole) tend to be serious roadies or not roadies at all. Maybe that's a factor?
To be honest I think that roadies prefer custom bikes for a matter of getting a perfect fit. No elitism involved, no more bling factor than in MTB culture, just the fit is much more important so getting the perfect bike can often require a custom frame.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.