Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3 on the tree
206 Posts
Great pix!

The bike looks nice in raw. What I'm really envious of is the vivid greens of the terrain you're riding in. Even with all the rain we got in SoCal, the flora looks nowhere near as striking and alive as in Alaska!

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
So, is that yours? How does that fit into your bike quiver!? 5", 5.75", and 6" :)

I test rode a Medium and really liked the fit for my 6' height, but didn't have a chance to compare it to a Large.

Did you go medium or large (appears to be a medium)?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Dang T, I thought I was the lone Turner/Yeti rider on these boards, be very very carefull (tring my best Elmer Fudd imatation) you just might like that thing. Oh and what ever you do, dont put that Air Pike on it, because it will ROCK and I would hate to see all those Turners up for sale! LOL of course! :D

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it's not mine, and it's a small. I have ridden both a medium and a large and think I could deal with either. I'm 5'11" and have fairly long arms. The medium is a bit short at 23.4" tt and the large pretty long at 24.4". I guess I'd go for the medium and run a 110 or 120 stem on it. I did not ride the sizes back to back so it is hard to compare. You can draw your own conclusions for the result of the longer wheelbase and stuff I guess. I just went to a shorter stem on the Spot (100 down from 120) and got used to the fit pretty fast, and like it better for descents. The climbing position suffers a bit though.

I was just emailing with Squeaky over this: the 575 and Spot offer similar handling overall, but the suspension feel does differ. The 575 is a bit stiff around sag, and then gets nice and soft as the suspension compresses. This is a function of the linkage rate changing. It is a falling rate bike overall, and so the shock's damping and spring feel like they have more effect higher in the stroke. It makes for a very good pedaling bike that uses it's travel effectively on bigger hits. It is a little platform-y feeling at sag but really sinks into the travel when a hit demands. That seems to be how it pedals well and yet feels plush. The change in linkage behavior through travel can be a bit of an odd sensation at first. A little like hopping on a vpp for the first time.

The Spot seems to have a more consistant and rising rate linkage. It rides more supple at sag (bob-y, some would call it), and then resists deeper compressions in a very predictable and evenly increasing way- progressive. You don't feel any transitions in suspension action as it compresses.

I guess the 575 feels a bit snappier and racy, the Spot a little more trailbike-ish and stable. The frames are actually about the same weight (within about 0.25# or something). The 575 is noticeably louder bike from the big, thin tubes acting as a sounding board for any chain slap or knocks. The tubes seem absurdly thin when you flick them with a finger. The cable routing on the 575 is sort of weird, but it works well. The 575's standover is excellent. The RP3 compliments each bike a lot and at this point is the shock to beat. The 575 uses a special 2.25" stroke RP3 so it has roughly the same leverage as the Spot.

You're a big boy, I can't picture you on a medium, but that tt is closer to your large XCE's.

Shopping?

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Do the 05s' come with the little Yeti guy scribed into the frame or did the guy do that himself to identify it?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The der hanger comes with the little dude.

I screwed up. Both bikes use a 2.0" stroke shock. The Yeti has a higher average ratio. The Yeti uses a 7.875" i2i shock while the Spot a 7.5"

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
tscheezy said:
The der hanger comes with the little dude.

I screwed up. Both bikes use a 2.0" stroke shock. The Yeti has a higher average ratio. The Yeti uses a 7.875" i2i shock while the Spot a 7.5"
Rofl, ok I was just giving my bike a good clean up and seen him on there:)

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
tscheezy said:
You're a big boy, I can't picture you on a medium, but that tt is closer to your large XCE's.

Shopping?
I test rode the 575 to see what the hype was all about, and now I'm a bit sorry that I did. I love my XCE for my local terrain, but I was blown away by the 575! My XCE is set up with a relatively burly parts pick, but it was pretty amazing that the 575 was lighter, more stable, and gobbled up anything and everything in its path.

I tried the medium and felt more upright, but it didn't feel awkwardly small. However, my pedestrian work clothes probably didn't help me get the exact fit and feel for the cockpit under normal riding conditions (specifically climbing). I'm sure a large with a 90-100mm stem would do the bike even more justice.

A 5-Spot has its work cut out for it, when it comes time to go head-to-head with the 575 for my 2006 new bike 'wish' list!

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
tscheezy said:
Actually it's not mine, and it's a small. I have ridden both a medium and a large and think I could deal with either. I'm 5'11" and have fairly long arms. The medium is a bit short at 23.4" tt and the large pretty long at 24.4". I guess I'd go for the medium and run a 110 or 120 stem on it. I did not ride the sizes back to back so it is hard to compare. You can draw your own conclusions for the result of the longer wheelbase and stuff I guess. I just went to a shorter stem on the Spot (100 down from 120) and got used to the fit pretty fast, and like it better for descents. The climbing position suffers a bit though.

I was just emailing with Squeaky over this: the 575 and Spot offer similar handling overall, but the suspension feel does differ. The 575 is a bit stiff around sag, and then gets nice and soft as the suspension compresses. This is a function of the linkage rate changing. It is a falling rate bike overall, and so the shock's damping and spring feel like they have more effect higher in the stroke. It makes for a very good pedaling bike that uses it's travel effectively on bigger hits. It is a little platform-y feeling at sag but really sinks into the travel when a hit demands. That seems to be how it pedals well and yet feels plush. The change in linkage behavior through travel can be a bit of an odd sensation at first. A little like hopping on a vpp for the first time.

The Spot seems to have a more consistant and rising rate linkage. It rides more supple at sag (bob-y, some would call it), and then resists deeper compressions in a very predictable and evenly increasing way- progressive. You don't feel any transitions in suspension action as it compresses.

I guess the 575 feels a bit snappier and racy, the Spot a little more trailbike-ish and stable. The frames are actually about the same weight (within about 0.25# or something). The 575 is noticeably louder bike from the big, thin tubes acting as a sounding board for any chain slap or knocks. The tubes seem absurdly thin when you flick them with a finger. The cable routing on the 575 is sort of weird, but it works well. The 575's standover is excellent. The RP3 compliments each bike a lot and at this point is the shock to beat. The 575 uses a special 2.25" stroke RP3 so it has roughly the same leverage as the Spot.

Shopping?
I would have to both agree and disagree with Tscheezy's assessments here. I test rode a 575 and then hopped on my 5 Spot and re-rode the exact trails. The 575 definately gets nice and soft as the suspension compresses soaking up medium to large hits, so it makes sense that it is a falling rate bike overall. I agree that it makes for a very good pedaling bike that uses it's travel effectively on bigger hits, but disagree that it has a little platform-y feeling at any point. I found it to pedal-bob quite a bit more than my 5 Spot w/rp3, though neither are noticable on trail.

I also agree that the Spot seems to have a more consistant and rising rate linkage. But then I think the 575 rides more supple at sag (ie pedal bob) versus the Spot. Therefore, the 5 Spot feels a lot more snappier and racy, and also more stable at speed. The 575 seems a little more trailbike-ish to me.

I also agree with bikerx40 that the 575 felt more upright, but that could be due to me testing on a small with a 90-100 mm stem. (I am 5'8" and run a 120-130 on the spot) But here's the deal with the 5 Spot, I threw on my DHX again and it is much more supple than with the rp3. I still get the snappy acceleration, but the midddle travel is more smooth than the rp3 with its progressive air spring rate. IMO, the DHX on the 5 Spot provides a much better comparison to the 575.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
noticed you have gravity droppers....

tscheezy hi, im new to the forum and to the homer-hood. (you can see my bike at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=876132#poststop) i lurked around for a while before i got my bike and learned a lot from you and others here. thanks. i noticed you have gravity droppers on most of your bikes and i wanted to hear how you like them. after changing my seatpost height 10+ times in a 2 hr ride last nite i think im gonna go for one. im also thinking of going with the 4 inch drop model instead of the 3 inch, which will give me the 2 extream settings vs. the more all-round setting id get from a 3 inch model. your thoughts? thanks. psi.

btw, this message ended up in the yeti page instead of turner... :rolleyes:

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
I think you are all wrong! No just kidding... Really it depends on the ol' rp3 and which setting you use. You can get a pretty firm feel out of it, or get that bobby "I'm a floater not a fighter" feel. Far as I can tell, similar situation with the spot, too (only a parking lot ride).

Thank goodness for junk!

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
MED or LRG? Tough Call...

tscheezy said:
I'm 5'11" and have fairly long arms. The medium is a bit short at 23.4" tt and the large pretty long at 24.4". I guess I'd go for the medium and run a 110 or 120 stem on it. I did not ride the sizes back to back so it is hard to compare. You can draw your own conclusions for the result of the longer wheelbase and stuff I guess. I just went to a shorter stem on the Spot (100 down from 120) and got used to the fit pretty fast, and like it better for descents. The climbing position suffers a bit though.
tscheezy,

I'm moving from a large 5 Spot to a 575. I'm 5' 11-3/4" tall. I was ready to go with a large 575 but then I read your post. You're a very reliable source IMO so I was hoping to get more input from you...

My large 5 Spot had a good fit (Vanilla 130RLC, std. post w/120x5 stem). I was thinking about a large 575 with an AM1 and 110x5 stem. My riding style is aggressive XC with an occasional 1-2' drop. How different did the large 575 feel than your Spot? If anything I don't want to go to a smaller TT than the Spot. Do you think I'll feel too stretched out on a large? I threw a leg over a friend's large 575 for a minute during a recent ride. His bike was obviously setup differently than how I would have it, but it didn't feel bad to just pedal on.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.