Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at taking a job in Boulder and want to know what the riding is like. I use to live in Idaho where it is great flowy trails. Now I live in Santa Barbara CA where the trails are rough, there is also some nice dirt jumping in town. I ride four bikes, Intese M3, Uzzi VPX, Specialized Enduro, and a Trek 5200. I am no craizy dude, just like to ride. Also in S.B. there is a lot of political issues with biking on the trails (hikers want to close it to bikes of corse). I see there is some of that going on in Colorado, how much of that is near Boulder? When you bike near Boulder do you pretty much have to wear a bell? What is the attitude of other trail users.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The Trek 5200

The best Boulder riding is in Nederland, a separate town 20 miles away. IMO. I tend to ride my road bike more around Boulder than the MTB as I do not have the time to drive to a trailhead, etc. Wonderful road riding all over Boulder, fantastic climbs up canyons, flat riding on the plains out east. I'll let other folks describe some of the other MTB rides. In town you could ride a cross bike on all the trails, they are not technical.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

I read that there were some bike trails in the "open spaces" area, are those good trails or are they lame dirt roads?

I was also looking at living near Lyons but working in Boulder. Does anybody know if the road between the two is bike friendly to commute?

Thanks.

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
dhbikerczar said:
Thanks for the input.

I read that there were some bike trails in the "open spaces" area, are those good trails or are they lame dirt roads?

I was also looking at living near Lyons but working in Boulder. Does anybody know if the road between the two is bike friendly to commute?

Thanks.
Lots of road bikes on that road, especially on weekends. Usually only 1 or 2 deaths a year.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
open space trails

Most trails "in town" or from town that you can ride to from your door are combo single & double track, not very technical, and will require asphalt riding to link them. You can do a lot of mileage on these and I enjoy them quite a bit. I do them on my HT. Other popular destination rides like Hall ranch in Lyons, Heil Ranch, Walker Ranch & Nederland are all more technical but generally require getting in the car, tho there are ways to do some of these rides without a car, if you have the time. The ranch rides tend to get crowded, especially during the typical mid day weekend or after work hours. I've not been to one of the ranch rides in the past year mostly due to my own family time constraints & the crowds. Lyons is a nice town.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey dhbikerczar, I think you'll be more than disappointed in the riding around here. I moved to Boulder and live here currently....I moved here from Pasadena where i was on the trails every day, I'm sure you know of Mt. Wilson and the surrounding trails around the Pasadena, CA area, although all that stuff is dry and you can get Poison Oak like freaking mad out there.....since I've moved to Boulder, I have been very sad about the Single track riding. But just like you had to drive in the Socal area to hit trails, the same applies here. The areas Jimmy mentioned are the most ridden areas around here, and if you go on the weekends...we'll lets just say you'll NEVER EVER get to enjoy a downhill on those trails, I've forced myself to go to most of these trails very very late in the day to avoid the people, there always seems to be someone coming up the downhill’s that you want to blast down, but such is life, I understand and accept that crap, I mean we all want to MTB, so since there is such limited single-track you just have to learn to live with it. I will say though that the drives to the trails are not that bad, if you live in Boulder and go north to Lyons, west to Nederland, or south to the Golden area, the drives are really not that bad compared to some of the driving in Socal. The trails are tech. though, you won't be disappointed with that, but you might start to hate climb 1million feet just to get to the good stuff right from your car, I mean come on Front Range, can't we build some nice flowy trails without having to climb to the heavens before you can ride the good stuff......

Anyway, if you DH, you'll be happy with that here, since Big Bear closed while I was in Cali., my DH rig sat for a bit, unless I hit up Bootleg, but you can drive about an hour and a half to Summit county off I-70 and you'll fall in love with the DHing over there. I spent this past summer at Keystone and was hhaaloving it!!!...super serial...

But truly I was very disappointed in the single track around the Boulder area, although I didn't know all the BS (before I moved here) that went on here between hikers and bikers and the people who actually make the decisions about the trails and there access and the build of the trails, but MTBing is MTBing, you get what you can take. but seriously this is me when I go riding here :madman:

But one thing, is right, the road riding is great, you'll get in some great rides on the road here and there’s plenty of canyons to climb up and bomb down....plus if you do live in Boulder, you will love the how easy it is to get around town on the bike paths, I live on the east side of Boulder and can ride anywhere with almost no touching roads, its great, plus if you do have to ride on the roads, they almost all have bike lanes in them, so that is a super plus for this area.....anyway....come on out to the Republic of Boulder, its in my opinion one of the better areas to live around here.....I'm sure a lot of people on this forum will not agree with me on living in BOulder, but I've lived more then a few places and it does seem to be a good place to live, but I'll be the first to tell you, the majority of people that live in Boulder are :confused:

anyway, if you come on out to the east side of the west side...hit em up....
YEah Bro!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh yeah and one more thing, if you like to hit the NightRiding single-track like I was in Socal almost daily, you'll not get that here....since the people in charge of the trails are Nazis, there is no night riding allowed and you'll supposedly get ticketed on your vehicle at the trail head and if they catch you, you'll get a ticket then too......
I hate that crap, let me ride, I mean....come on.

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
I am from So Cal (native) and feel a bit different. I think the riding is way better here (front range) and So Cal. We have legal DJ areas (Gun Barrel 5 min and Lake Arbor 15-20 from boulder) that blow away anything So Cal has. Keystone FR park is an hour away (nothing like that in socal) and if you have to drive to a good trail on the front range it is at most a half hour. Try driving to Noble Canyon in San Diego, or, San Juan in Orange County, or Big Bear in, well, Big Bear. I don't personally know the commute to the trails in Santa Barbra, but, I do know of the trail nazi's,

http://safetrails.net/

Our local nazi's don't campare. This is just my opinion, but, I like it here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the input!

Going riding this weekend, I guess I should enjoy it while I can. Hope to hit two or three of the four front side trails, Tunnel, Cold Springs, Romero, San Yisidro.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't believe everything you read..singletrack in the city of boulder is not existent but there is a lot of riding in the foothills west of Boulder north to south, not that far from town..I've lived here (in the foothills) for 15 years and I ride a lot and have explored the area extensively. Much of the trails are not so well known, you have to be prepared to explore and like adventure, it's not handed to you and it's not going to be on a map or in a guidebook. Some of it can be rough and technical..but it's all here and it's awesome. Riding west of Ned is incredible, though it's gotten a little crowded lately so you have to go a little south to avoid weekend warriors and head higher. But there is so much national forest land to ride and explore, with that said you could stay in california and keep the riding population on the trails here down, that would be appreciated..Colorado has phenominal riding!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I basically lived in Idaho till I moved to California. It has been about three years here, so you can take it as gaining an Idahoan, not a Californian. :) Also I am use to exploring to find new trails. I still haven't decided on the job yet, but riding is rather important to me and weighs heavially on my decision.

Again all, thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you move to the area and you're motivated you will find plenty of riding to keep a smile on your face. Just be prepared to work for it both physically and logistically..
Sports Garage in Boulder is a good local bike shop to visit, the guys there ride and are knowledgable.
You'll have to pardon my attitude when it comes to population increase, I'm protective of the trails here and the quality of the riding, things have exploded on the front range in the last 10 years.
BOA, Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance is group here that works on trail advocacy, might be something you're interested in as well. They do trail work as well on established trails.
Good luck with you decision..

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
This is agreat discussion and I would love any more input people have. I live in silicon valley near santa cruz, ca and am thinking about moving to the area as well. Here we have tons of nazis but we also have some great spots that you have to drive 30 min to get to and we have northstar that's about 4hrs away for lift accessed DH riding. Convince me to move to your town and I'll help maintain and build new trails like these pics:
http://www.trailworkers.com/newsdetails.cfm?NewsID=217
http://www.trailworkers.com/newsdetails.cfm?NewsID=180

·
Registered
295 Posts
Interesting to read about trail happenings and politics to the north. I myself lived in Southern Cal for a while. I used to frequent a number of the trails in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest (Trabuco District) and since moving here to Colorado back in 2000 I've been overjoyed with trail access and the variety of epic cross-country rides to great little after-work rides.

Quite honestly, I've barely ridden many trails north of I-70. Just haven't had a reason to drive up that way due to the variety and wide-open spaces I have just outside my back door.

Anyway, I have no opinion about the politics of what's happening (or has happened) to trail access in the Boulder area but things seem to be peachy-keen in the south Denver-metro area and areas south and west to Colorado Springs.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
So is there ever any shade during the riding in the Denver-Boulder area? From the google maps it looks very barren and dry, unless there is snow on the ground. Coming from Santa Cruz, am I gonna freak out if I ride there? I rode in Moab 2 yrs ago and I liked it but I love trees and shade too.

·
Registered
523 Posts
There's some shade

You are correct in deducing that most of the trails are out in the open, although not quite as open (and strange looking) as Moab. Down in the Denver-Boulder area, there are some trails that take you into pine forests. Nothing like the shady trees of the east - I don't know how shady Sant Cruz is. Up in the mountains, there are more trees - aspens and pine forests. I for one don't really miss the dense woods of Ohio - the riding here is much better!

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's plenty of shade once you're in the foothills and mountains. It's dry climate though and in the summer if you ride down low you usually wait until the evening or morning..
We have pine and fir in the foothills and aspen higher up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.