Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
WWJR
460 Posts
I thought "Boulder-ites" walk/ride where they want, when they want.?.? I mean, total disregard for any/all vehicles is a given in Boulder...
Maybe it should be the other way around...? :rolleyes:

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
Don't the police in Boulder have better things to do ?
I have no idea what better stuff they could be doing, but I do know that things like crosswalks get ignored by cars unless there is periodic enforcement. Why do cars in Seattle and Berkeley, for ex, stop for pedestrians entering a crosswalk when cars in other jurisdictions do not? It's not because those people are more enlightened, that's for sure.

I walk and ride around Boulder a lot, and I for one would appreciate a little more enforcement from the police. That said, two days ago I was waiting at a crosswalk (having pushed the flashing light button, but waiting for cars to stop) and a cop blew through the crosswalk. :rolleyes:

·
slow
6,865 Posts
Does the 8mph rule apply to bikes using the cross-walk to cross a street like a pedestrian, or crossing over the crosswalk while moving down the street like a car?
If the bike riding down the street perpendicular to the crosswalk blows through the crosswalk at 15 mph while a car is stopped at the crosswalk, does the cyclist get two violations?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm 100% for more police enforcement on bicyclists doing stupid things...just as I'm for more enforcement for vehicle drivers doing stupid things.

I bike commute every day, and I get cut off by other bicyclists all the time, I almost get hit in crosswalks by them, and I have a few acquaintances that have recently hit bicyclists because of them running red lights (yes...these cases, it was the bicyclist's fault). Yet these cyclists feel like they are immune from the laws of the road. I have more bad run-ins with bikes than I do with cars.

So no...cops don't have anything better to do...they also don't have anything worse to do. They are just doing.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Personally, I think if pedestrians or cyclists or skateboarders are not using the crosswalks the way they are supposed to be used and creating an unsafe or nuisance situation for them or drivers, there should be an effort to get the situation under control. The same goes for cars, if cars are not respecting the crosswalks and endangering other people, there needs to be an effort to get that under control.

Of course you can almost always depend on the same person(s) who says things like "don't the cops have better things to do?" to be the same people who complain loudly of those pesky pedestrians slowing them down in their automobiles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pretty sure it's already a law that cyclists have to walk their bikes across the street if they use one of those dumb a$# crosswalks instead of using all of the bike friendly routes available.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Those blinky crosswalks are lame. They are going to get someone killed. Oh wait! They already have! :rolleyes:

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Pretty sure it's already a law that cyclists have to walk their bikes across the street if they use one of those dumb a$# crosswalks instead of using all of the bike friendly routes available.

Not in Boulder. Many of the crosswalks are part of the bike path system.

Here are the rules.

Colorado Code Publishing Company - Boulder Revised Code - Chapter 7-5

Most interesting is that some fixies might be considered illegal because many of them technically don't have a brake, which is required.

Also, based on the rules, I think a runner can legally exceed 8 mph in a crosswalk.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I hate driving in Boulder. It's worse than a metro city like Atlanta. In Boulder, you have aggressive drivers (or maybe just bad drivers), aggressive cyclists, and entitled pedestrians. I dread the day I hit someone.

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
I hate driving in Boulder. It's worse than a metro city like Atlanta. In Boulder, you have aggressive drivers (or maybe just bad drivers), aggressive cyclists, and entitled pedestrians. I dread the day I hit someone.
well, you certainly should dread the day you hit someone as that would be bad, mkay.

But the hyperbole of Boulder being this crazy difficult place to drive in is silly. Those crazy entitled pedestrians, expecting to cross the street at crosswalks when they have the legal right to, the nerve! And aggressive cyclists, expecting to bike in their bike lanes, oh the horror!

I drive to downtown Boulder every day I'm not on my bike, and if you hate driving here and find it worse than a metro city (haven't driven in Atlanta, specifically), then you're doing something wrong or need an attitude adjustment. :lol:

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I broke Boulder's law around five times today I guess.....when I took my hands off the bars to sip my wonderful coffee on the way to work!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Entitled pedestrian to me is the one that assumes all cars will stop for them. That's just dumb, because you are going to lose that battle. I guess I mainly see them in parking lots, or on Pearl Street.

Aggressive cyclists blowing stop lights, maybe aggressive was the wrong word.

But put all of these things together - more traffic of auto, people, bicycles - and it is a lot for any driver to be aware of. Now add the ones out of cars (or in cars) assuming the other vehicle or pedestrian sees them, and attempts to squeak through, I am just surprised I don't see more accidents.

So I am all for enforcement of making sure people are taking less risks, and being more aware of the situations they are placing themselves into. Is it fun to speed through a crosswalk on a bike, or blow through a red light? Sure it's fun. Is it smart? No.

No attitude adjustment required here, whether it sounds like it or not I am trying to look out for my fellow pedestrians and cyclists.

·
Registered
203 Posts
After reading the new crosswalk laws, it's obvious they will improve cyclists' safety. The main improvement being the requirement that ALL lanes of traffic yield, in the event that one lane has stopped.

As a driver I'm not psyched, because often cars stop for no reason, just because the blinking lights are going. I trust myself not to hit people in the crosswalk, blinky lights or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts