Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From this link:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/09/sheriff-vandals-strike-least-four-cars-popular-bou/

Be warned, reported thefts at Boulder Valley Ranch and Hall among others. Don't leave anything that looks remotely enticing to thief's in your car.

Text from the article:
"At least four vehicles parked at three separate Boulder County trailheads were broken into and had items stolen from them on Friday, officials said.

Boulder County sheriff's Sgt. Tom McGrath said two people who had parked at the Eagle Trailhead, located near 51st Street about two miles north of Jay road and west of North 55th Street, reported their windows were smashed and items including a purse and a backpack were missing.

Another car parked at the Hall Ranch Trailhead, near Lyons, had two windows broken and an owner reported a bag of clothing missing that was later recovered on the side of the road, McGrath said.

At least one vehicle parked at the Pella Crossing, one mile south of Hygiene, also had windows broken out, he said.

Detectives do think the "smash and grabs" are related, McGrath said, and are investigating.

McGrath said it's becoming more common for thieves to target purses, wallets and checkbooks left inside cars, because those items can be used to commit identity theft."

·
Registered
106 Posts
There related!

Bikers need to take the law into there own hands. Lets run sting operations and when they are successful the cops will get pissed and do there own job. (can't have the public doing our job - they don't know what there doing - someone might get hurt) How many more time must this happen for law enforcement to take action? If it was at the mall the cops would be gladly respond.

·
Registered
624 Posts
photorider said:
Bikers need to take the law into there own hands. Lets run sting operations and when they are successful the cops will get pissed and do there own job. (can't have the public doing our job - they don't know what there doing - someone might get hurt) How many more time must this happen for law enforcement to take action? If it was at the mall the cops would be gladly respond.
AMEN Brother!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I thought it was common sense not to leave valuables in your car, especially not where they are visible. If someone can see there is something worth stealing (or a bag that might have something worth stealing in it), they are more likely to take the chance and break the window.

I keep all my credit cards, cash and ID in one wallet, and just put it in my camelback when I ride. I usually take my cell phone, too. Someone can steal my purse, but all they'd get is my daytimer and lip balm :) They are welcome to the daytimer!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Oddly enough I rode today and saw this large white pickup with two people parked by the trailhead on 55th. They started driving as I went by really slow, then turned around. When I was coming back on my loop 25 minutes later, there they were driving slowly in the other direction.

They looked suspiciously lost.

The whole problem with these break-ins is that they break a window. I don't like the idea of not having any valuables in my car, yet the idiot smashes my window to find out.

But on that note, one way around it is to not park at the trailhead or make sure, ironically, that it's busy.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Jdub said:
From this link:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/09/sheriff-vandals-strike-least-four-cars-popular-bou/

Be warned, reported thefts at Boulder Valley Ranch and Hall among others. Don't leave anything that looks remotely enticing to thief's in your car.

Text from the article:
"At least four vehicles parked at three separate Boulder County trailheads were broken into and had items stolen from them on Friday, officials said.

Boulder County sheriff's Sgt. Tom McGrath said two people who had parked at the Eagle Trailhead, located near 51st Street about two miles north of Jay road and west of North 55th Street, reported their windows were smashed and items including a purse and a backpack were missing.

Another car parked at the Hall Ranch Trailhead, near Lyons, had two windows broken and an owner reported a bag of clothing missing that was later recovered on the side of the road, McGrath said.

At least one vehicle parked at the Pella Crossing, one mile south of Hygiene, also had windows broken out, he said.

Detectives do think the "smash and grabs" are related, McGrath said, and are investigating.

McGrath said it's becoming more common for thieves to target purses, wallets and checkbooks left inside cars, because those items can be used to commit identity theft."
As soon as they catch these guys they'll be another batch of thieves to take their place.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
BonkedAgain said:
Did you happen to jot down the license plate or was that before you read this topic?
I stopped and started to pull out my camera a snap it...but despite them being slow, I was even slower in the thought process and they were too far away at that point.

I did read the Camera article on this this morning so it was on my mind.

What I do remember is that it's a while Dodge 1500 or 2500, with a chrome toolbox and diesel filler tank in the back. They might have been legitimately lost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well its time to bring the pit bull with me and leave her in the car than...

oh wait, knowing my luck she would just show the thieves where all the good stuff is... nvm...

At least the Audi has a factory alarm... not that it would deter anyone, if they want something they are going to take it regardless...

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Debaser said:
As soon as they catch these guys they'll be another batch of thieves to take their place.
Very true. My point to posting this was just a reminder to people that this is happening. For Hall Ranch, I always park in town. For the Dirty Bismark area, typically park at the Target in Superior. Lots of good options to park then ride to the actual trail, even if you aren't close enough to just ride to the trail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.