Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just grabbed a set of Hope m4 off ebay for $130 for my stumpjumper m4.

I didnt even know about caliper sizes, there a number 3 will they be okay for my frame and fork?

Attachments

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Number 3 caliper will give you 180mm front and 160mm rear. You may find that the M4 (silver or black?) is a little too much for the kind of riding that the bike is best suited to. I'm also a little concerned that 180mm may be too much for that fork to cope with.
Did you find any good deals on disc wheelsets?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still looking into some wheelsets.

The M4 i bought have silver calipers and black levers

I MADE A MISTAKE IN THE ORIGINAL POST THEY ARE HOPE MINI'S:madman:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The Minis will run 185mm front and 165mm rear from No.3 calipers. Ideally, you would want a No.5 caliper for the front which would give you a 165mm rotor.

You're in the UK, right?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You need to check with those who know (try the Let's Talk About Shocks forum), but I'm having reservations about putting a 185mm rotor on that fork. If it turns out that it's a definite no-no, you could either sell the whole brake or sell the caliper and get a No.5, like this one on ebay. You can run a Mono Mini from the lever you've bought.
Unless you can find a deal on a wheelset, you could always just go for a disc up front and the rear V for now. You really should be checking all this stuff out before you go buying stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know that now, i hope i havnt made a big mistake coz it just means i gotta sell them and start over

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Check out your options, you may be OK with the 185mm on the front. If not, you can hang onto the 165mm rear for now and take your time finding a No.5 caliper/brake for the front. You'll get 30-40 quid back for one brake, which you can then use to get another one.
If you can get the No.5 Mono Mini caliper that I linked in my last post, I have a 160mm Avid rotor which you can have. It's a simple job that doesn't require any special tools to switch the calipers and you can put the always popular No.3 Mini caliper and rotor back on ebay. You may even get lucky and make a few quid off the whole thing. Patience, mate, patience...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea Steve.

I will do what you said and keep the back brake and see how the front one goes otherwise try winning the caliper you showed me there is about 2 on ebay right now so i got options.

I will keep in touch and see how it goes.

Still got the wheel set problem tho. lol

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I'd recommend waiting and saving for new wheels. Buying used wheels on ebay can be a nightmare; one man's idea of 'true' can be enough to make another man cry!! Check out Highonbikes on ebay (they have a pair of Mavic Crossride's for just over 100 quid, or ChainReactionCycles, who do excellent value factory and custom wheelsets. Check out the review section here on MTBR and ask, ask, ask lots of questions.
There's enough info here on MTBR and plenty of folk who are happy to help out when we have gaps in our knowledge...

(Follow the Overhaul Guides link in my signature for an idea on how to switch Hope calipers and bleed them afterwards. Let me know if you're going to need this 160mm rotor.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the links will come in handy real soon.

I like your bug hit looks awsome what does a bike like that weigh? And brakes you running on that the front rotor looks huge if my 165mm is like that gonna look silly on my fork.

I will look into investing in a new wheelset and let you know about ur avid rotor.

Thanks again

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The BigHit weighs around 18.5kg, or just over 40lbs. Both brakes are Hope Mono M4, with 160mm rear and 203mm front. 160mm or 165mm will look and work just fine on yours, though. Horses for courses, and all that...
Take it easy, and good dirt...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts