Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I picked up this little guy from my local bike shop. After a pretty lengthy test ride and a few more research sessions, decided a SB130 was for me. Brought it home and put in three or four rides on one of the local trails here in Anchorage and realized right pretty quick that I didn't buy a $5200 bike- I bought a $3800 frame with $1400 worth of parts that to me were not going to work. I grew up as a trials rider, went to college, joined the military and 15 years later Im getting back into riding. Even with the 15 year hiatus- I needed to make some changes to get some more fun out of this bike.

Up front- this bike (frame) climbs as well as its reputation would have you believe. It's fantastic. Super responsive, quiet, and very nimble. But... some of the parts on this (GX) build were bugging me. Specifically:

1. Wheelset- absolute garbage. Seriously. Probably the worst engagement I have ever ridden. Lots of spoke noise, 3-pawl non-upgrade eligible mechanism, and flexes like a wet noodle. It has to go. This is the next and last major change I will make here shortly, just haven't decided in my old-trusty Chris Kings or a set of I9 Hydras laced to enduros.

2. Brakes- dumpster worthy right from the beginning. Right away they were like grabbing a handful of bath sponges. Didn't make any sense to me. Im not ready to completely give up on the yet- but I am getting close. I made a few changes that have certainly boosted them up, but the jury is still out.

3. The Fork- super solid, but for me I wanted to get a little more squish and room out of it but didn't want it to slack out so much that it over shadowed the rear travel.

So what I did...

Brakes: Bled and re-bled. I swapped out the front 180 for a 200 and this has at least tripled their performance from pointless, might as well run no brakes- to useful for the time being.

Suspension: swapped out the stock 150 air cartridge for a 170. Yep. 170mm. I then cracked open the rear shock and clipped off the travel limiter to allow the full 137mm of rear travel to be utilized if needed. With these two combined and the SI-Link, its like riding on a cloud with the ability to snap the pedal stroke and confidently climb anything.

Also did a few little things to spruce it up to my likings. Ditched the Ergon grips for a set of Kona Gums. Much more comfortable and sticky the way I like them. Added a front mud flap (100% mandatory up here in AK). Clear bra'd the frame. Put on a MRP chain guide and a Funn bash guard. Pedals are Fooker turqs. Profile bottle cage for- you know- when I get thirsty.

As it sits now I am pretty happy with the setup. Once I get the rear wheel sorted I think she'll be all set for a little while.

P.S.- Why didn't I just buy a SB150? They didn't have one in stock or any on order up here in AK. I was pretty happy with the way the 130 rode and handled during my demo so I went with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Just thinking [not sh!tstirring!!!] but you may want to check if that 170mm fork isn't going to void your lifetime warranty. 160mm should be fine as thats what the LR comes with. Good looking bike tho!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I bought a 150 and have the same sentiments to a degree. I ripped off the brakes and immediately replaced them with the Trp Quadiems. Replaced the grips also for DMR Deathgrips. I also found the wheels to be ok. The hubs just need quicker engagement. I will be replacing the rear hub eventually. The fork is solid though. Just throw a grip 2 in the 36 and your set.

The GX build is solid but i agree it does need a few upgrades at a certain point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice! I bought an X01 build and had many of the same complaints on the brakes and wheels. Went with Code RSC's and i9 hydras on enduro 305 rims. Honestly I have never felt a more flexy wheelset and the 2-piston XT brakes were not even close to strong enough when it gets super steep and fast. Stoked with the build now. I need to clip the spacer off of the back, hoping to do that this weekend. I think I am ok with the 150mm for now, but may swap up to 160 soon-ish.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
About a month ago I picked up this little guy from my local bike shop. After a pretty lengthy test ride and a few more research sessions, decided a SB130 was for me. Brought it home and put in three or four rides on one of the local trails here in Anchorage and realized right pretty quick that I didn't buy a $5200 bike- I bought a $3800 frame with $1400 worth of parts that to me were not going to work. I grew up as a trials rider, went to college, joined the military and 15 years later Im getting back into riding. Even with the 15 year hiatus- I needed to make some changes to get some more fun out of this bike.

Up front- this bike (frame) climbs as well as its reputation would have you believe. It's fantastic. Super responsive, quiet, and very nimble. But... some of the parts on this (GX) build were bugging me. Specifically:

1. Wheelset- absolute garbage. Seriously. Probably the worst engagement I have ever ridden. Lots of spoke noise, 3-pawl non-upgrade eligible mechanism, and flexes like a wet noodle. It has to go. This is the next and last major change I will make here shortly, just haven't decided in my old-trusty Chris Kings or a set of I9 Hydras laced to enduros.

2. Brakes- dumpster worthy right from the beginning. Right away they were like grabbing a handful of bath sponges. Didn't make any sense to me. Im not ready to completely give up on the yet- but I am getting close. I made a few changes that have certainly boosted them up, but the jury is still out.

3. The Fork- super solid, but for me I wanted to get a little more squish and room out of it but didn't want it to slack out so much that it over shadowed the rear travel.

So what I did...

Brakes: Bled and re-bled. I swapped out the front 180 for a 200 and this has at least tripled their performance from pointless, might as well run no brakes- to useful for the time being.

Suspension: swapped out the stock 150 air cartridge for a 170. Yep. 170mm. I then cracked open the rear shock and clipped off the travel limiter to allow the full 137mm of rear travel to be utilized if needed. With these two combined and the SI-Link, its like riding on a cloud with the ability to snap the pedal stroke and confidently climb anything.

Also did a few little things to spruce it up to my likings. Ditched the Ergon grips for a set of Kona Gums. Much more comfortable and sticky the way I like them. Added a front mud flap (100% mandatory up here in AK). Clear bra'd the frame. Put on a MRP chain guide and a Funn bash guard. Pedals are Fooker turqs. Profile bottle cage for- you know- when I get thirsty.

As it sits now I am pretty happy with the setup. Once I get the rear wheel sorted I think she'll be all set for a little while.

P.S.- Why didn't I just buy a SB150? They didn't have one in stock or any on order up here in AK. I was pretty happy with the way the 130 rode and handled during my demo so I went with it.

When you spend $5299 on a bike do you believe you should have to strip it down to make it rideable ?

You may have been better off with a MT or Ripmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Hopefully, it doesn't crack...:eekster::yikes::shocked:
Curious why you say that? I have yet to see or hear of any reports of cracked C-series frames that the OP's GX build uses. They use twice the carbon layers as the Turq-series frames (that have had issues) so... I'm thinking that would be the least of the OP's worries... wait, because of the 170mm fork? I didn't catch that until just now! IAC carbon is plenty strong enough to long fork a frame by 10-20mm.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hello Nick. Good to see your still around contributing. Good luck this summer with your racing and stay healthy, I'm sure I'll run into you at some point.
Thanks! Sorry I've been slacking, I'll try to "contribute" more. I've been riding too much. I'll be in the Whistler valley the next few weeks, maybe for the BC cup. Then Winter Park BME, then USAC Nationals for the Enduro race at Winter Park, and finally Snowmass BME for the finals if you're really looking. Probably not making Telluride due to nationals. Otherwise I'm in the front range riding 3-4 days a week. If you're really looking for me I'm not hard to find... :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Thanks! Sorry I've been slacking, I'll try to "contribute" more. I've been riding too much. I'll be in the Whistler valley the next few weeks, maybe for the BC cup. Then Winter Park BME, then USAC Nationals for the Enduro race at Winter Park, and finally Snowmass BME for the finals if you're really looking. Probably not making Telluride due to nationals. Otherwise I'm in the front range riding 3-4 days a week. If you're really looking for me I'm not hard to find... :thumbsup:
Yeah, I saw your result from BME Santa Fe and nice to see you back along with a healthy back which I'm sure put your fitness behind where it would normally be.

I'm in Whistler from July 5-14 and then Colorado from Late July through November. Catch you around sometime and again I'm trying to change my ways and chill out more.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yeah, I saw your result from BME Santa Fe and nice to see you back along with a healthy back which I'm sure put your fitness behind where it would normally be.

I'm in Whistler from July 5-14 and then Colorado from Late July through November. Catch you around sometime and again I'm trying to change my ways and chill out more.
My fitness in Santa Fe was horrible but its a super fun race... I climbed 18k in 5 days including practice UGH. I'm game to get a ride in when you're in Colorado for sure.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Demoing an SB130 for the weekend. Interesting bike. I am new to Yeti bikes (other than what I have read here) and the whole new geometry used in recent ('16 onward) bikes.

In a couple of weeks I will demo the new SC Hightower.

Streetdoctor, I live in Santa Fe too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.