Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Specialized Allez elite. I just picked it up, but only had time to ride it home (mile and a half). I test rode about a dozen different bikes before I decided on this one, I liked the fit best. Anyways I got the "dream silver" color which is essential clearcoated aluminum. Decent components and a little over 19lbs w/o pedals. I've been wanting to get a roadbike for a few years. Normally I just put slicks on my mountain bike, but this will let me do some longer rides.

What's cool is the color I got is only offered in a triple ring and I wanted a double, so the shop(Johnny Sprockets in Chicago) swapped parts off one of the red and white ones for me.

edit:image


Specialized Allez Elite
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Traitor Bastage!....

Just kidding ;) Roadie bikes are great. I got one a couple of years ago and ride it a lot more then I thought I would. Riding the road is a great arobic workout that helps with your climbing and overall endurance and you tend to ride road and stay off wet/fragile trails as well...it's all good!

Nice selection on the ride but be careful...a quick 20 miler around town can turn into a 40 miler reeeeeeeel easy :eek: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Congrats!

That's a nice bike. I got my first road bike a few months ago, and I've enjoyed more than I thought I would. A computer with a cadence function can be useful if you don't have any yet. Don't sell your mountain bike though. :D

Ricko said:
Just kidding ;) Roadie bikes are great. I got one a couple of years ago and ride it a lot more then I thought I would. Riding the road is a great arobic workout that helps with your climbing and overall endurance and you tend to ride road and stay off wet/fragile trails as well...it's all good!

Nice selection on the ride but be careful...a quick 20 miler around town can turn into a 40 miler reeeeeeeel easy :eek: .
 

·
Combat Wombat
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Sweet!

JeffRouse said:
...Specialized Allez elite. I just picked it up, but only had time to ride it home (mile and a half). I test rode about a dozen different bikes before I decided on this one, I liked the fit best. Anyways I got the "dream silver" color which is essential clearcoated aluminum. Decent components and a little over 19lbs w/o pedals. I've been wanting to get a roadbike for a few years. Normally I just put slicks on my mountain bike, but this will let me do some longer rides.

What's cool is the color I got is only offered in a triple ring and I wanted a double, so the shop(Johnny Sprockets in Chicago) swapped parts off one of the red and white ones for me.

edit:image


Specialized Allez Elite
Definately second BlueBike's advise on a computer with cadence. The first time you try to maintain 90rpm for only 5 miles is a very humbling experience for most mountainbikers. While I love singletrack, I can jump on my roadbike and bust out 25 miles from my front door in about the same time that it takes to drive unload/load and drive home from the nearest trail.

Brian
 

·
They say I have a problem
Joined
·
460 Posts
Me Too....

Picked up an 04 Roubaix this spring and have been riding the road a lot. Actually the mountain bikes have yet to see dirt this season. Of course the trails have been kind of wet around here so that's a probably a good thing. I'll add myself to the list of people who never thought road would be so much fun....I must say that the speed you can maintain is addictive...

Have a good one,
Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Agree with everyone here. I got one about 15 months ago after resisting for a long time. I did not think I'd like it, but wanted something to ride on wet days, and something to ride when I didn't have time to drive to the trail (30 minute drive to trails, but I live on a country road and can do a road ride out of the door). 15 months later I have 2000 miles on my bike, and I'm loving it. Still prefer mountain bike on any dry day, but I'm so glad I got the road bike (and while I'm still a hack, my mountain biking has DEFINITELY improved as a result...).

Only person I don't agree with is Adaml, and that is only due to personal preference, so no offense Adam :). Group rides are indeed fun with the right group, but road riding alone (not on crowded streets, mind you) can be a good opportunity to cleans the mind and just zone out for a while. I like my solo road rides, they're like a time warp for a few hours.....

It's all good.... that's a nice lookin' bike too. I like the Dream Silver alot.

Enjoy....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Nice...I work at a specialized shop and that is THE best deal road bike in the market right now. I was gonna buy one but came a cross a Zion frame on ebay for cheap cheap and decided to build up another SS first.... But that is the exact Road bike I am going to get.......
have fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys...

I've only been able to get out on twice so far, 23 miles and 22 miles. BrianU, I got humbled 15 minutes into my first ride. I was riding straight into a nice Chicago breeze. I could barely maintain 13mph! Coming back the other way, I was holding around 25mph with little effort. D*mn wind. ;)
This is to supplement days I'm not able to drive 30 miles each way to get to the mountain bike trails. And for when its too muddy to ride them.

Jeff
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
JeffRouse said:
I've only been able to get out on twice so far, 23 miles and 22 miles. BrianU, I got humbled 15 minutes into my first ride. I was riding straight into a nice Chicago breeze. I could barely maintain 13mph! Coming back the other way, I was holding around 25mph with little effort. D*mn wind. ;)
This is to supplement days I'm not able to drive 30 miles each way to get to the mountain bike trails. And for when its too muddy to ride them.

Jeff
Well, I'l see you out there at Palos sometime then.

I for one appreciate (in some sick sort of way) the wind in the Chicago area for the resistance that it provides...hey you gotta do SOMEthing to amuse yourself when you live in these god -forsaken flatlands! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,771 Posts
Nice roadie..

My only suggstion about a double crankset is look into a compact double. Most are configured with 34-50 chainrings. couple it with a 12-25 or 12-27 in the back and youve got gears to get you anywhere..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
jrm said:
My only suggstion about a double crankset is look into a compact double. Most are configured with 34-50 chainrings. couple it with a 12-25 or 12-27 in the back and youve got gears to get you anywhere..
Bah, You want to train hard leave the 39-53 up front. If I have trouble on my 11-23 it just means I'm outa shape :D The best part about road biking is pedaling past 45mph. Can't do that without at least a 53 up front. ;)
 

·
Believer in Darwin
Joined
·
274 Posts
Nice bike Porn(pron)

I just got a road bike myself in late January of this year. I had been resisting for years, but after getting into watching the Tour and Classics I became intrigued by the idea. Plus having a road bike in the quiver is every mountain bike racer's little(big) dirty secret. Since I moved up to expert I knew I needed more miles.
Mine has a triple, but since I am not up to date with roadie etiquitte who cares. I still am VERY hesitant descending with a lot of speed. I still over shoot a lot of corners during windy downhills.
Riding with at least a couple of guys can be beneficial, plus they break the wind.
I have also noticed that road biking doesn't let you clear the mind like mountain biking. When on the mtn bike, it is me and nature and wherever my mind takes me. While on the road bike I have to stay alert at all times for a myriad of reasons.
One last note, I feel good about not riding trails after the rain. If I need a fix, get on the road and wait until the trails dry up.
Paz Afuera
 

·
Combat Wombat
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Maybe it is where you ride....

papisimo11 said:
I just got a road bike myself in late January of this year. I had been resisting for years, but after getting into watching the Tour and Classics I became intrigued by the idea. Plus having a road bike in the quiver is every mountain bike racer's little(big) dirty secret. Since I moved up to expert I knew I needed more miles.
Mine has a triple, but since I am not up to date with roadie etiquitte who cares. I still am VERY hesitant descending with a lot of speed. I still over shoot a lot of corners during windy downhills.
Riding with at least a couple of guys can be beneficial, plus they break the wind.
I have also noticed that road biking doesn't let you clear the mind like mountain biking. When on the mtn bike, it is me and nature and wherever my mind takes me. While on the road bike I have to stay alert at all times for a myriad of reasons.
One last note, I feel good about not riding trails after the rain. If I need a fix, get on the road and wait until the trails dry up.
Paz Afuera
I agree with bmateo's post. I can really get into a zone on my roadbike, but of course that is on certain back country roads that I am very familiar with and usually has very light traffic.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,771 Posts
But i like my knees..

Hecubus said:
Bah, You want to train hard leave the 39-53 up front. If I have trouble on my 11-23 it just means I'm outa shape :D The best part about road biking is pedaling past 45mph. Can't do that without at least a 53 up front. ;)
I guess im outta shape...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a road bike for this summer, but I've never really ridden one. I have a lot of experience on MTBs but none on roadies, so how did you guys find the transition in terms of much larger frame bigger wheels and different riding position ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,771 Posts
I strongly suggest

nnn said:
I'm thinking of buying a road bike for this summer, but I've never really ridden one. I have a lot of experience on MTBs but none on roadies, so how did you guys find the transition in terms of much larger frame bigger wheels and different riding position ?
Buying a bike form a shop that may have a scheduled ride for their customers. it s a nice way to meet people and to get used tothe difference in shifting, gearing, position and timing. Coming from a MTB background however you have already honed handling skills that alot of roadies lack. it takes a little time to get used to but its worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't done any group rides yet. As far as position goes, I found it pretty comfortable. The biggest challenge so far is the amount of work my legs are doing in comparison to my MTB. On this I'm always pedaling and pushing much harder gears. The bike handles fine IMO, it's just a bit rougher of a ride.

nnn, the transition probably depends more on your personal preferances. I used to roadrace motorcycles and find the riding position vaguely familiar, so I have no issues there. Definately test ride as many bikes as you can, and try riding them all more than once. I rode several bikes, and also did many back to back comparisons between different combos before I settled on this one. I liked the Giant TCR2 very much, but this rode more comfortable for me, so I went with it.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top