Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a 6'1" 220 rider who mainly rides XC. I have owned a 05 TREK 4500 Disc for a little over a year now, During that year I have upgraded the Fork to a Marz comp 105mm w/ ETA, Shimano clipless pedals, and a Thudbuster Suspension seatpost and WTB Rocket saddle. I was about to upgrade the drivetrain to a worthy 9 speed but rather spend money on a FS frame instead.

I found a great deal on a 04 Kona King Kikapu Easton FS frame lightly used. I am planning to transfer all the components from the TREK and upgrade over time. I am immediatley purchasing a Thomson Elite seatpost and am also looking for a Headset, (any recommendations)??? Then as parts start breaking or wearing, replacing the the rest of the parts.

Are there any parts of the TREK that are not even worth being transfered, or will not work with the new frame???

Here is the Link for the specs on the 4500 TREK: http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Mountain/Hardtail/Alpha_Aluminum/4500_Disc/index.php

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,893 Posts
medik13 said:
I am a 6'1" 220 rider who mainly rides XC. I have owned a 05 TREK 4500 Disc for a little over a year now, During that year I have upgraded the Fork to a Marz comp 105mm w/ ETA, Shimano clipless pedals, and a Thudbuster Suspension seatpost and WTB Rocket saddle.

I just found a great deal on a 04 Kona King Kikapu Easton FS frame lightly used. I am plannig to transfer all the components from the TREK and upgrade over time. I am immediatley purchasing a Thomson Elite seatpost and am also looking for a Headset, (any recommendations)??? Then as parts start breaking or wearing, replacing the the rest of the parts. Are some parts of the TREK not even worth the transfer??? Thanks
Chris King headset's have always been the best. I know there are a few others that are giving them a run as of late. But CK are time tested and proven. Just choose your color and dont look back.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Most of the parts should be transferable.... you are already getting a seatpost so that's one... the other things to watch for are the clamp size of the front derailleur, and the bottom bracket width if you are not using an integrated crank (like shimano hollowtech 2)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You may want to check on the head tube lengths of both bikes. If the head tube of the Kona is taller than that of the Trek, the steer tube of your fork may be too short. Most likely this shouldn't be a problem, but you may want to double-check.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Chris King or Cane Creek make great headsets.

I'd swap the crankset out for something else. I don't know that the chainline on the BB from the Trek will be too great on the Kikapu (if you can even put spacers behind it to fit...the Kona is a 68mm BB and the Trek is 73)

Clamp size on the FD should be fine. The Trek is 34.9 and I think the Kik is the same (might be less, might need a shim).

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
A new Bottom Bracket

You are going to need a new BB for sure. you may also need a new front deraileur. Does the new frame have V-brake bosses? Just about everything will swap.

THe frok steer may be an issue, but should be fine.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? If so, post some photos of the frames, around the HT area.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
He's got discs, according to his first post. Front derailleur will be fine. I swapped form a trek 4500 to a Kona as well, and all the derailleurs swapped fine.

Fork steerer should be fine as well. If the sizes are similar the head tubes are similar.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Go Cane Creek on the headset, and skip the Chris King.

Before I get hunted down, drawn and quartered, if the guy's buying a used frame, do you really think he wants to drop $100 on a headset?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
robdamanii said:
Hope headsets just recently came to the US (I think I read that somewhere anyway).

On a sidenote...the new Pro IIIs are amazing looking.
Yep...those are the new models.. which will take a while to be in stores I suppose....

you can find the current ones at Jenson for example http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS401A00-Hope+Headset.aspx

I have my eyes set on a set of Pro 3, after the impression I have from the Pro 2 I have now on my 575, but I am waiting to know if the Pro3 are also convertible to 20mm

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
robdamanii said:
Ahh, so it's the old Hope headsets that are in the States.

My girl rides Pro IIs that I had built up for her. I'd LOVE to have a set of gunmetal Pro IIIs on my Kona.
The Pro3 will probably won't be available in gunmetal....

they changed the color a bit and it is called gunsmoke now
:lol: important difference, right? :lol:

·
Advanced Slacker
15,452 Posts
alphajaguars said:
Go Cane Creek on the headset, and skip the Chris King.

Before I get hunted down, drawn and quartered, if the guy's buying a used frame, do you really think he wants to drop $100 on a headset?
Actually, they are about $130 now. I have had great luck with $30-$40 Cane Creeks. Chris Kings are amazingly well made, but seeing as this guy is trying to save for upgrades, $130 for the headset is just frivolous. The $90-100 dollars he saves going with a Cane Creek will be better spent elsewhere.

If one wants the finest headset made, then CK it is, but to spend that much on a headset just does not make any financial sense. I've been through this with people so many times, and it just does not add up. Rarely will a CK pay for itself in the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.