Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My how things have changed since 2014. I recently sold my 2014 Stumpy because we were moving from Massachusetts to Montana. And I thought it was time to get rid of the brain shock since I don't think anyone will service it anymore. It was a good move since bikes were so scarce. I got decent money for it.

I have been hunting around for a couple months now. Pickings are still slim but I just needed to find one. Norco really was not even on my radar. But one of the shops had an Optic and a Sight in my size. I was intrigued, I knew Norco had a great reputation but knew nothing of their lineup. Heck, I really have not kept up with things for many years since I had the same bike for so long. I went home, did a bit of reading and decided the Sight may be the right play, even though my days of bigger drops are probably a distant memory. But this 54 year creaky body also needs as much cush as possible when bombing around so the Sight needed another look and a test ride.

It was the A1 model. Way more than I was intending to spend but my wife was getting annoyed at me. I tend to get grumpy if I can't get out to ride, so you can imagine how pleasant I must have been to be around after not riding for a couple of months or so. So back to the shop for a test ride. I hit every curb I could find, stairs that could be ridden, you know the usual urban assault. The slack geometry was reminiscent of my days on my SX Trail. But it was "light" and friendly feeling like the old Stumpy. I love the longer feeling of these new frames. It surprised me because I thought I was going to hate it. I always sized down in bikes. Not this time.

The new and higher end suspension really blew me away. I am sure suspension has improved since 2014, but stepping up in range certainly has to have made a difference too. Took it for its first ride over the weekend. Just a joy to ride. I know it is not a light bike, but who cares. It's not like I am racing. It is certainly easy enough to go uphill with the thing. No need to stand and not even close to wanting to pop a wheelie, despite the slack front end. Well done Norco. Downhill, well I am no racer but that thing is a hoot. Just stuck to the ground. I even got the opportunity to hit a little jump, perfect for me. Nice soft landing, no bob, and maybe used a third of the suspension. Perfect. Cornering was just fun. Finally I am on a bike that lets me get some weight on that handlebar without feeling like I am going to wash out. I know it was me, but something was always off in that regard with my old Stumpy. Actually, with the Norco I felt like I was always centered or over my seat when riding. Not much need to get way forward or off the rear end, not yet anyway.

It has been a long time since I have been to a bike park. I may just have to visit one soon.

First post in a very long time. Finally had something to talk about :)

Pete

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
Nice bike, congrats. Had a similar experience (9 yr old) FSR Comp > HD5. Also sized up for a Sled like experience. In your age category too. Your Sight will let you see everything Montana has to offer, in comfort and fun factor. Enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.