Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Talus 29 HT about a month ago (my first MTB) and have ridden it about 15-20 times since then. I like it, but I've found myself wanting to go faster and do more downhill and with no rear suspension it gets really rough. I rode my friends Ventana Pantera FS yesterday and was amazed by how much more comfortable and nimble it was - I felt much more confident.

In terms of my skill level, I'm progressing along well; yesterday I rode a trail rated "advanced" on singletrack.com with relative ease, but it was kinda painful.

To cut to the chase: Since I am really loving mountain biking and would like to do more intense downhill runs, I've been thinking about selling my Talus 29 and buying a Kona Precept for about $1900. Although, that is a lot of money and I'm not taking this decision lightly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14,058 Posts
If that model has the Suntour 'X' series fork you are not setup for too much of the difficult/fun trails everybody likes riding. There are a lot of hard tails that would be a major step up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Talus has the XCM and the Precept that I'm thinking about getting has RockShox for the front and rear shocks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have one of each. I have a talus 29 converted over to a long travel single speed and a stumpy fsr 29. I flat love my stumpy it's a awesome bike. But the coverted talus with a 130mm fox float is a awesome ride in of its self. If you can keep the talus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Interesting, so with a new frame and a new fork (maybe RockShox) I could build a pretty good bike for quite a bit cheaper?
Probably, but you've gotta keep an eye on parts compatibility.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Probably, but you've gotta keep an eye on parts compatibility.
Aside from a FD and seat post, maybe the BB shell, usually not much of an issue.

The saddle might be an issue if it comes off a 26er and your new frame takes 650B wheels. Same goes for the pedals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, any recommendations? I was looking at a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er frame for about 800 and a fox front fork for 400. I don't know much about bike assembly, but I suppose I can learn pretty quickly, right?

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
The saddle might be an issue if it comes off a 26er and your new frame takes 650B wheels. Same goes for the pedals.
Yes, I've heard these rumors of 29er specific seats and pedals. :)

Hubs are probably the biggest thing to watch out for. Want to make sure the axle set-ups are the right (ie, QR vs 15 vs 20 in the front, 135 or 150 rear, etc.) And obviously wheel diameter. Not that it's hard to get something that will work with what you've got, just be aware that there are variations in some parts that won't work with every frame/fork out there. Drivetrain, brakes, stem/bars, etc are pretty standard.

If you're really looking to get into DH riding, you're likely want to go to smaller wheels and some heavier duty parts in general. At that point, your best bet would probably a complete used bike IMO. Just to give you an idea what's out there in the $2k range, I posted a few bikes in my area for sale in another thread; I copied them below. You'd be hard-pressed to get more bang for your buck going the swap-out route, though it would be somewhat cheaper in the short run.

Trek Fuel EX 9.9 carbon mountain bike + bonus wheelset

2013 gt force 1.0 full suspension bike

2012 Yeti SB66 XC / All Mountain Bike, size L

BRAND NEW 2013 SANTA CRUZ NOMAD MEDIUM RAW SILVER

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used bike over a new precept? Even the guy at my LBS said that at my rate I'd be ready to upgrade to something like a process or nomad in a year or two haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I've heard these rumors of 29er specific seats and pedals. :)

If you're really looking to get into DH riding, you're likely want to go to smaller wheels and some heavier duty parts in general. At that point, your best bet would probably a complete used bike IMO. Just to give you an idea what's out there in the $2k range, I posted a few bikes in my area for sale in another thread; I copied them below. You'd be hard-pressed to get more bang for your buck going the swap-out route, though it would be somewhat cheaper in the short run.

Trek Fuel EX 9.9 carbon mountain bike + bonus wheelset

2013 gt force 1.0 full suspension bike

2012 Yeti SB66 XC / All Mountain Bike, size L

BRAND NEW 2013 SANTA CRUZ NOMAD MEDIUM RAW SILVER
I just saw these links, thanks! I've been looking into used bikes and I think that's the route I'm going to take.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking about a used 07 Specialized Enduro in good condition only about an hour away for $900, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
I saw the link you sent - man, any way that you could ask for some clearer pics?
Is this a bike you could check out in person before purchasing? Age wise, it's kind of on the border, specially if it's been ridden hard.

Also of note, it's not an Enduro, it's an SX Trail, which is a more heavy duty ride and if in good condition, would easily handle pretty much anything you're gonna throw at it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would go used 26" FS but try to get something thats not to old so u won't be buying a bike every year lol

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I crossed that one off the list. Now I'm considering a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp for only $1000. It is a large frame though and I'm 5'9'' 150 lbs. The guys said that's his size as well and it works well. Only 45 min from my house thinking about checking it out Tues. What do you guys think? I'm kinda wary about having to deal with selling my Talus though.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I ride a medium 2012 Stumpjumper fsr comp. I've been on a large just seemed to big. Just make sure it fits you good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Interesting, so with a new frame and a new fork (maybe RockShox) I could build a pretty good bike for quite a bit cheaper?
Wouldn't be the route I would go.
It is all entry level parts on the Talus. There is no point in trying swap everything over to a nice frame. Then you have the daunting task of trying to sell an entry level frame that isn't going to generate a lot of interest.

I would sell the bike as complete and buy a complete bike. In the end if you spend any more money you will find it well worth the headaches.

The reason your friends bike feels so much better isn't just because it is full suspension.
Another option is upgrading your bike starting with that crappy pogo stick they call a fork. You can do this relatively cheaply if you do it through the Suntour upgrade program and get their Raidon for about $175. Not the best fork in the world but for only $175 it is nice and will make a huge difference.

Also if you are bent on getting a full suspension and you can do it without selling the Talus, keep it. Having a spare bike is nice. I kept my entry level hardtail for a while after getting my full suspension and still took it out almost as much. If for no other reason, it is nice to have a spare bike. (Something breaks on the main bike and you have to wait for a part, friend wants to try riding, etc).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
swapping parts over will take alot of time and learning if you're total newby. If you end paying somone, it might end up costing less just to sell the HT

special tool costs
cassette remover (depends on the brand of your cassette)
crank remover may be necessary.
bottom bracket remover.
headset supposed to have headset press.
dremel or specialized housing cutting tool
torque wrench highly recommended. (necessary if any carbon parts)

also compatibility issues to consider.
seat post. you can shim up but not down.
tapered vs straight fork?
fork cut too short? (most likely not if you still have the spacers)
probably will have to buy new cable housing

I'd be looknig at used FS bikes on ebay. Look for demo days. Look at some of those new marin bikes on ebay as well.

The reason your friends bike feels so much better isn't just because it is full suspension.
Another option is upgrading your bike starting with that crappy pogo stick they call a fork. You can do this relatively cheaply if you do it through the Suntour upgrade program and get their Raidon for about $175. Not the best fork in the world but for only $175 it is nice and will make a huge difference.
epicon > raidon, and it's $200 shippied no trade in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts