Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this shock recently on a used bike I bought.
When twekaing a bit with the settings it appears that the bottom out control cannot be turned.
It feels completely stuck and in the manual I read that it should not be turned with force.
What's wrong?

Z.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Are you just using your hands? You do know that the little holes around the diameter of the B/O knob are for a 4mm hex wrench to get some leverage..?? Lastly, the B/O is not supposed to be adjusted at above 75psi...drop to 75, adjust, then re pressurize to riding psi.

When mine was new, it was tough to move for sure, I was never able to adjust it by hand, but quite easily with the wrench.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
davep said:
Are you just using your hands? You do know that the little holes around the diameter of the B/O knob are for a 4mm hex wrench to get some leverage..?? Lastly, the B/O is not supposed to be adjusted at above 75psi...drop to 75, adjust, then re pressurize to riding psi.

When mine was new, it was tough to move for sure, I was never able to adjust it by hand, but quite easily with the wrench.
Yup, the 4mm wrench is the way to go. The PSI figure is 125 PSI as a MAX for adjustment. In other words, make sure that your BO pressure is 125 or less before you adjust the knob.

Good thing to mention there davep!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davep said:

Ok! that makes sense. Thank you!

Z.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lemmiwinks said:
is there a little grub screw in one of the holes (the top one on my shock) it looks like there is a little silver allen head in there?
Yes indeed. I saw more than one (4?). What is the function of these screws?

Z.

·
Registered
82 Posts
well i assumed to stop the dial being turned. i'm having the same prob as you and wondering if the screws are holding the dial still?? any clues anyone i assume they must be otherwise n opoint in them surely

·
Registered
616 Posts
They just hold the blue knob on. You can unscrew them and clean under the knob if so inclined, but best to remove the shock from the frame first.Possibly lube the exposed BO threads.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Those little screws keep the blue adjuster on the shock. If you look at the schrader valve, it will make more sense..you will see the bottom of the schrader is a squared off circle (black plastic at the center of the blue ano knob. The knob drops over this black plastic shaft and the grub screws keep it in place. The whole schrader valve turns with the B/O knob.

There is no way that the screws would/could prevent turning of the knob...nor can it hurt to pull them off to see for yourself

BUT....

there is a possibility of dirt and grit getting under the knob if the bike is ridden in mud a lot, or if the shock is 'up side down'. I have definately heard grit in there in the past. Might be worth checking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.