Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause a bottom derailleur pulley to skip? It skips every 2 revolutions of the pulley wheel.

Thought it was a bad link in the chain but still does it with a new chain.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but given that I'd check for hanger alignment, bent cage, freely rotating pulley and worn pulley teeth.
Trying to clear up what I mean - as I pedal (on bike or in the stand) the chain as it goes over the lower pulley will actually come out of alignment with its teeth. The pulleys teeth don't in between the chain rollers but rather jump up and ride on the sledge of the chain and then it'll fall back in.

Oddly it does this every two revolutions of the pulley (I marked the pulley) not any specific spot in the chain.

I don't think anything is bent as I've not crashed or otherwise hit the derailleur on anything.

Thought about getting new pulleys and inner and outer cage plates before buying a new derailleur (I really don't think it's the hanger but I'll just replace that if and when I get a new derailleur)

·
Boom bap ambassador
924 Posts
Do you have a picture of the teeth on the lower pulley?

I have seen that when the teeth on a nylon lower pulley get jacked up due the RD getting bent or the alignment being off depending on the cassette.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a picture of the teeth on the lower pulley?

I have seen that when the teeth on a nylon lower pulley get jacked up due the RD getting bent or the alignment being off depending on the cassette.
No, I put it all back together now. But no teeth stood out from the rest in terms of them being jacked. They were all wore the same.

It's an xtr derailleur by the way

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Does this happen all over the cassette or more towards one extreme? I've had this sort of happen in the biggest cog on extreme chainlines where the front ring is pulling at such an angle that it is too much for the chain to stay on properly in that ring - middle ring, not outer, just on a 135 hub.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this happen all over the cassette or more towards one extreme? I've had this sort of happen in the biggest cog on extreme chainlines where the front ring is pulling at such an angle that it is too much for the chain to stay on properly in that ring - middle ring, not outer, just on a 135 hub.
Ahh I did mess around with the front ring the other day. Yes it rally only happens on the largest cog. Also an older 135 rear spacing on the suspect vehicle.

I'll check it tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.